Poll - Gravely or Dixie Chopper ?

wdrdoctor

Threads
Gravely Compact Pro 44 - or - Dixie Chopper Silver Eagle 44 ?
Which mower is better,and WHY ?

DCsupport

Forum Newbie
Threads
The Silver Eagle 2744 is an excellent commercial machine for an operator who needs a 44" deck. It features a conventional pump and wheel motor drivetrain which is proven to be a stronger drivetrain for commercial use and is covered under a 5 year or 3000 hour drivetrain warranty. If you need more productivity, the Silver Eagle 2760KW is our #1 best seller.

What kind of use are you looking to put the mower through?

wdrdoctor

Threads
The Dixie Chopper cost approx. $2,000 more. Is is worth the extra $2,000 ?
I've heard the gravely has a better cut than the Silver Eagle on St. Augustine grass ? Any actual truth to that?

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
I've heard the gravely has a better cut than the Silver Eagle on St. Augustine grass ? Any actual truth to that?

Not just because I own a Gravely...but NO the DC is NOT worth $2k more!!! The differences you should consider are:
1)Gravely has Kawasaki FX commercial engine and DC has Generac.
2)Gravely has cast iron spindles and DC has aluminum.
3)The Gravely's ZT-3100 trannies are commercial grade and even though they don't have as long of warranty as the DC I don't see $2k more as being worth a little longer warranty.

I don't know about St. Augustine grass but I don't think you would be disappointed in the cut quality from a Gravely ZTR's X-Factor deck. That's what my Pro-Turn 152 has and it delivers a professional-looking cut!! Bottom line, I would keep the $2k in my pocket and get the Gravely.

DCsupport

Forum Newbie
Threads
The spindles on a Silver a Eagle are steel and fully serviceable. Certainly not aluminum.

The 27HP Generac engine has the same 3 year unlimited hour warranty as the Kawasaki FX featured on other DC models.

The best advice is to demo each model at a local dealer.

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
The spindles on a Silver a Eagle are steel and fully serviceable. Certainly not aluminum.

The 27HP Generac engine has the same 3 year unlimited hour warranty as the Kawasaki FX featured on other DC models.

The best advice is to demo each model at a local dealer.

Sorry about the bad info on the DC spindles(it was difficult to discern since it wasn't specifically mentioned on the DC website). All in all, that's the best advice regarding demoing both machines. Both are very good quality...I just couldn't justify the big price difference.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads

Personally I'd spend the extra and get the Dixie Chopper, it's worth the extra money. As far as one being better cutting in St.Augustine goes that going to depend on the operator of the machine and if he knows how to use the machine the way it should be used.

Last edited:

wdrdoctor

Threads
Lawn Pro, You didn't say exactly why you would spend the extra money on the dixie chopper?

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Lawn Pro, You didn't say exactly why you would spend the extra money on the dixie chopper?

Well if you're asking me why, it's a better mower as far as I''m concerned. For one the Silver a Eagle has a 27 hp Generac engine which is as always been known as one of the best going. It also has a suspension seat which is nice and mostly because it's running HT series drive which is a far better drive system than the Gravely. The drive system is backed with a 5 year/3000 hour warranty. To me it's well worth the price difference.