Please post DETAIL about your problems!

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Okay, I'm back with another question...
What is this knob for that is on my lawn mower? I have no idea what it is.:confused:

This would be your deck hight adjustment knob.
Turn it clockwise to rise deck turn other way to lower deck hight

Sent from my iPhone using LMF

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
It's called the height adjustment knob.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Did I not just say that????? LOL

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Post on my unit is a little slow, I fix engines not computers.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Post on my unit is a little slow, I fix engines not computers.

I figured you did not see my post. And thought I would give you a hard time.

rpmdad

Forum Newbie
Threads
Sorry if this is in the wrong place to post this it is my first post. Am at a total loss here, and looking for any kind of advice at all.
Equipment: Craftsman DLT 3000 Tractor Kohler Pro 20 V Twin
From the tag on the tractor.

Model CV20S

Spec 65596

Serial 3313918211

OEM Prod # 187052

Family 3KHXS6242GC

Displacement 624

Problem, while cutting grass 2 weeks ago, tractor started smoking really bad. Turned tractor off right away, saw a lot of oil around the front part of the tractor getting on the exhaust system causing the smoke. Let tractor cool totally off approx 2 hours, cleaned up all the oil. Checked the oil and it was very low on the dipstick, however reading was fine before starting cutting. Added oil to tractor, about 3/4 up the full line on the dipstick.Had son start tractor,
Perspective from sitting in the drivers seat of the tractor appeared oil was gushing out of the right valve cover, turned tractor off right away. Did some research and ordered a valve cover gasket, and a cylander head gasket kit. Replaced head gasket, valve cover gasket and both exhaust pipe gaskets this weekend. Torqued everything to spec. Started tractor, started tight up purring like a kitten, and massive oil leak from same valve cover, no difference at all like i didn't do anything. Turned tractor off immedietely. Any ideas at all at what i am missing here???? I know this doesn't mean anything, but have always kept up on regular maintenance, oil changes filter, gas filter, plugs, keep the tractor clean and stored in a weather conditioned shed. I figured by the serial # it is a 2003.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Sorry, but all the questions I'm going to ask may sound very stupid and I don't want to insult you. I have to start some where.

1. Did you make sure that the head and cylinder body were very clean and dry before installing the new head gasket?
2. Did you install the new gasket dry, no oil or sealer on it?
3. Did you torque the head bolts in two steps (half of final specs, then full specs) or in one step (right to full specs)?
4. Were the head bolts installed dry?
5. Did you reset the valve clearances?
6. . Did you make sure that the head and valve cover were very clean and dry before installing the new valve cover gasket?
7. Did you install the new valve cover gasket dry, no oil or sealer on it?
8. Was the second oil leak coming from the gasket between the head and cylinder body or the head and the valve cover?

I know that is a lot of question, but I didn't see what you did or what happened. When I get your answers, I will let you know what I think went wrong.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
I am thinking that the plastic valve cover is cracked causing the oil leak, since the gasket was replaced.

could also be a casting flaw in the head, that is near the valve cover. had a Scag last summer that had a casting flaw below the spark plug, that starting leaking after 600 hours.

rpmdad

Forum Newbie
Threads
Sorry, but all the questions I'm going to ask may sound very stupid and I don't want to insult you. I have to start some where.

1. Did you make sure that the head and cylinder body were very clean and dry before installing the new head gasket?
2. Did you install the new gasket dry, no oil or sealer on it?
3. Did you torque the head bolts in two steps (half of final specs, then full specs) or in one step (right to full specs)?
4. Were the head bolts installed dry?
5. Did you reset the valve clearances?
6. . Did you make sure that the head and valve cover were very clean and dry before installing the new valve cover gasket?
7. Did you install the new valve cover gasket dry, no oil or sealer on it?
8. Was the second oil leak coming from the gasket between the head and cylinder body or the head and the valve cover?

I know that is a lot of question, but I didn't see what you did or what happened. When I get your answers, I will let you know what I think went wrong.

Rivets, really appreciate the reply, and trust me i feel plenty stupid right now.

1. Yes
2. No sealer or anything on the new head gasket.
3 Yes, 2 step torque, according to specs. Initial, torque 200 in, lb. final torque 370 in. lbs. using the tightening pattern suplied caddy cornered.
4. Applied 30W to the first 4 threads on the head bolts.
5. reset valve clearance and torqued to spec.
6. Yes inspected and cleaned valve cover and dried.
7. Applied a very light coating of 30 W castrol gtx to valve cover gasket and tightened to torque spec. and in order supplied caddy cornered.
8. Appears to be coming from valve cover area, not a drip but sprays when engine started.

rpmdad

Forum Newbie
Threads
I am thinking that the plastic valve cover is cracked causing the oil leak, since the gasket was replaced.

could also be a casting flaw in the head, that is near the valve cover. had a Scag last summer that had a casting flaw below the spark plug, that starting leaking after 600 hours.

ILENGINE, thanks for the reply, thought i looked at valve cover pretty close when cleaning but can definitely pull and examine closer.