Please help! Engine stops when turn on blades, can't even drive it.

Buckwacker

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Please help! Engine stops when turn on blades, can't even drive it.
Hi All,
My Cub Cadet 1250 engine completely stops when I try to engage blades.
There is nothing stuck in the blades, the belts move freely.
I depress the brake, the engine starts, I engage the blades and the engine stops.
I can't even drive the tractor with the blades off....the engine stops when i let off the brake.
Would appreciate any help THANKS!

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Check you seat safety switch, either unplugged or bad.

mrcool

Threads
Check the Reverse switch ...make sure it is not full of grass OR In Reverse mode, or "Stuck in the reverse mode. (Corroded closed full of water?)
also if a "V Twin, one cyl could be not fireing and not enough power when engaging mower. Sometimes hard to tell , comb can occur with no spark, just compression, untill you put it under a load(Mower on)

mrfred54

Threads
i dont think a 1250 has a seat switch or reverse switch this model is from the mid to late 70's. it sounds like you have two issues with it. first the pto may be locked up with the pto brake. the pto unit will probably have to be replaced. far as the engine stalling when you release the brake pedal, i would have to think maybe the safety start switch or wiring harness has a dead short

insideandout

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a cub Cadet Z force commercial 48 and mine started doing that as well. Had a bit to do with the tightness of the belt tension. Try moving forward warming up your engine drive a little bit hundred yards or so then engage your blades while moving. Make sure to have your blade housing at highest level to lessen strain on belts by having it more level with the engine pulley and not engaging at an angle as when the housing is lowered. That works for me till i understand it better.