Please Help...Briggs engine won't start

Shawk

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Troy Bilt pressure washer with a B&S 11P902-0127-B1. It maybe has 15 hours total in it. It will not start. Won't even turn over. I have cleaned the entire fuel system and carborator. I have spark (but maybe not enough?). The kill switch tests out good. I have readjusted the magneto to a business card gap. I have tried starting fluid direct in carb (not even getting a backfire). There is no reaction at all when I pull cord. Flywheel is engaging properly. The pull is normal. Given all of this information, what else could it be? How can I check it without special tools. Please help. I have spent many hours trying to figure it out and I can't afford to take it to a pro. Thank you.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads

Mike_Goad

Threads
if it has spark and you spray in starter fluid, and it still will not fire up, chances are there is no or little compression. a valve could be stuck open.
with that said, if you simply pulled the plug and looked at the spark, yes it could be weak. does not take much to jump the gap with no load. when in the engine, it is under compression and it takes more to jump the gap. when checking spark, ideally use a spark tester. when in doubt, use a make shift one. put a screw driver in the plug wire and hold the screw driver about 1/3 of an inch from the engine. if it will jump that with nice blue spark, it is good. if not, use a little sand paper and clean the magnet on the flywheel and the coil. make sure to sand the area where the bolts are that hold the coil to the engine. if it is not grounded properly, it can cause your problem. set the gap .010"-.012" (the space between the coil and flywheel). use a business card if needed.

RDA.Lawns

Threads
Shot In the dark is it ohv engine? You said it won't turn over. Locked up? If ohv I'd sugest pulling the valve cover check the rocker arms making sure nothing has backed off While there make sure push rods aren't broke and are moving. My brother killed his pressure washer by accidentally spraying it while running sucking water into the motor.

pugaltitude

Lawn Addict
Threads
Is the choke coming on as it should have ready start with a thermostat?

Have you fitted a new spark plug? Gap should be 0.020"

Mike_Goad

Threads
Is the choke coming on as it should have ready start with a thermostat?

Have you fitted a new spark plug? Gap should be 0.020"

this was probably a typo
(Unless of course things are different in Scotland :)), plugs are gaped at 0.030"

pugaltitude

Lawn Addict
Threads
this was probably a typo
(Unless of course things are different in Scotland :)), plugs are gaped at 0.030"

This engine is gapped at 0.020" like all small vertical shaft OHV briggs engines.