Plastics

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
I use Permatex Plastic Weld product for the ABS and bondable plastics. The problem is there is only two colors currently available. Cream and Black. I had one customer with a SST16 that I bonded his hood together over ten years and the Permatex stuff was still holding when the hood designated from UV damage. I tried the JB weld version and it was a complete failure. Bonding of the JB Weld was a joke as I put together a hood and taped it overnight. The next morning I started removing the tape and it fell part like I never used the JB Weld. I got some Permatex version and barely manage to get most of the hood together before it was setting up. Now of course I have never gotten a JB Weld product to work for me so that didn't surprise me.

When I tried plastic welding a john Deere hood, where I welded it, it didn't do too bad. But this thing was so brittle, that other parts started breaking like my dodge dash.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
When I tried plastic welding a john Deere hood, where I welded it, it didn't do too bad. But this thing was so brittle, that other parts started breaking like my dodge dash.
That is the big problem JD green plastic hoods. UV damages them deeply. I have seen over 50 % damaged which makes them basically unrepairable. And boy is JD proud of those hoods.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thermo set plastics go hard & brittle when you heat them .
Bakalite is the most commonly known thermo set
I used a lot of thermo sets to hold microscope specimens
And no once they have been "set" they can not be welded but most con be glued.
Most are supplied as a mixture of powders that are heated in a mould under pressure .

That word "set" is how I remember they can't be used again.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
That is the big problem JD green plastic hoods. UV damages them deeply. I have seen over 50 % damaged which makes them basically unrepairable. And boy is JD proud of those hoods.

I replaced mine with an aftermarket one. And it wasn't cheap either. But not near as expensive as the JD brand.