picked up a harmony 2013, trans is super buzzy, only starts with a jump

harmony2013

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / picked up a harmony 2013, trans is super buzzy, only starts with a jump
I bypassed the seat switch, new battery, and it still only fires on jump from the truck.

starter is good, starter solenoid clicks, fires RIGHT up on old gas with a jump. Maybe new battery is defective, have to test it.

The trans is super buzzy/whiny, yet it shows the proper amount of fluid in the reservoir. trans buzzes when blade is engaged or not. it seems to run like a champ though, only had it running for about half an hour so far.

I am going to get to the bottom of the starting issues, countless threads on that. Just wondering more about the trans.

this is the exact same version of mine. Cant find a serial anywhere to find out.

di-2013_honda_harmony-37dcb7b734576f2f22fdd208025dc895.jpg

wondering if I should just punt it and get something that runs properly though, or sort this one out? I only paid 150$ for it, and I need something that works properly, everytime. I don't have a lot of time to chase demons.

Also, if anyone could recommend a good small engine/hydro guy in Frederick MD that isn't going to bs me and tell me it needs more parts than its worth, I would appreciate it. I build motorcycles for a living, but this thing is foreign to me.

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
  • / picked up a harmony 2013, trans is super buzzy, only starts with a jump
I bypassed the seat switch, new battery, and it still only fires on jump from the truck.

starter is good, starter solenoid clicks, fires RIGHT up on old gas with a jump. Maybe new battery is defective, have to test it.

The trans is super buzzy/whiny, yet it shows the proper amount of fluid in the reservoir. trans buzzes when blade is engaged or not. it seems to run like a champ though, only had it running for about half an hour so far.

I am going to get to the bottom of the starting issues, countless threads on that. Just wondering more about the trans.

The frame serial number (MXXX-1234567) is here; you'll need it to locate/order correct parts, as there were a number of versions of this tractor.

SN_H2013.jpg

Do you have the hydrostatic trans? The trans. drive belt (connects pulley on engine crankshaft to input pulley on top of transmission) is under constant tension; inspect for rubbing, vibration, etc. Groans from the trans. can vary, but air in the system, contaminated hydrostatic fluid, etc. can make 'em sound pretty bad.

If the engine starts from a jump battery but not the one in the tractor, then probably a bad battery or poor connection to it. Inspect/clean, replace with known, good battery to verify.

The H2013 has been out of production for over 15 years now, so parts get more rare by the day. Some are just not going to be available. Generally speaking, it's the mower deck that tends to wear out or need service more than any other single assembly. Engine parts are likely not to be an issue, as that same base/core GXV engine is still made by Honda.

STRONGLY advise you un-do the bypass of the operator presence (seat) switch; this a crucial part of the tractor's safety system and is there to prevent accidental starting and/or injury by the mower's blades. You can start the engine without somebody in the seat by simply setting the parking brake, and make sure the PTO/blades are OFF. No need to bypass the seat switch!

SOME early production H2013 tractors were subject to a Product Safety Recall back in 1998; the PTO control can possibly fail, causing the blades to continue turning even when the lever is OFF. While many of the affected tractors were repaired by Honda dealers, the only way to know for sure is to check the frame serial number and see if it has been updated in Honda's database. Please try and get that number and drop me a PM; I will be happy to look it up and find out for you. If you have a tractor that is in the affected range and Honda does not have a record of it being updated, a Honda dealer will still do the job at no charge to you. So please get me that serial number.

A factory shop manual (paper only) is available from Honda and can be a tremendous help when maintaining these older tractors; here's a link to get one from Honda direct, either on Amazon or eBay:
Honda Power Equipment Shop Manuals on eBay
Honda Power Equipment Shop Manuals on Amazon

A digital owner's manual can be downloaded from this link: [url]http://powerequipment.honda.com/support/owners-manuals/riding-equipment/lawn-tractor[/URL]