Peerless 600

RoperGuy

Threads
Hello, I have a whiny peerless 600 that I have locked posi and has been pully swapped. It has sat out side for over a year and I'm shur it's low on oil, my question is what is the recommended gear oil and possibly recommend a a thinner oil for a transfer case that "overworked"

Pumper54

Threads
According to the service manual: fill with 24 oz. (710 ml) of S.A.E. 80W90 part number 730229B gear lube. Fill through the shifter housing.

Tom

RoperGuy

Threads
Thanks Tom, that gives me a good base. I run this transaxle at least 3 or 4-X normal operating speed, I have been using 75w90 but have been wondering if I should try a thinner oil, at the same time concerned a thin oil may cause harm in "1st" gear at slower operation. There's really no manual for this hopefully I can collect a few opinions. Thanks, Rick

Pumper54

Threads
Rick,
As you are over speeding it I think the standard oil or perhaps heavier oil might be the trick. My line of reason is that thinner oil will be flung off the moving parts faster then a thicker oil. Some of the transaxles use a very thick nasty grease and not oil. I know my Peerless 700 transaxle uses Bentonite grease.
Tom