PDF/literature on this Toro (video insde)

Nettik

Forum Newbie
Threads
This isn't my video but it is the same exact mower that I have. I believe it is a 3.8 horse 1987 (Tecumseh obviously)

I've decided to service this myself, but I don't have any literature or anyway to identify anything on this motor. Shops around here don't want to even touch it, they just want to get me to buy a new mower, I'm pretty sure it's just having carb probelms, as it has good power it just doesn't want to stay running. Priming it, it starts perfectly as long as it doesn't flood out, just won't stay running.

Thank you for all of your help guys!

Nettik

Forum Newbie
Threads
Excellent! Thank you so much this will be a big help!

possum

Threads
Dang, that is some good info on carbs. I have this mower, the engine is placed odd. Has a three speed tranny, single lever controls the engine stop and self propell. The engine is a little underpowered for mulching, but a great old mower . Hope you get it fixed.

Nettik

Forum Newbie
Threads
No, I wasn't able to fix it.

I pulled it all apart, cleaned much of the mower.
Carb, bowl, everything seems to be in good shape, just a bit dirty. Cleaned everything out nicely.

Put it all back together, started on the first pull.

I also drained and replaced the gas obviously.

But as soon as I tipped the mower back to simulate going up a hill it wanted to stall out, and when it did, it was impossible for it to get started again.

Forgetting about that for now, I decided to just try and mow anyways, because after cleaning the carb, and intake etc, my mowers throttle had response I hadn't seen in years, and it had a lot more power with more RPM, so I definitely improved it, but still stalled on tip back.

When trying to start it, the rope broke...
Ohhh kayyy.... Maybe this is one of those signs to just move on from the mower.
Nah, pop off the cover and re-attach it no big deal.

So I did, and the spring mechanism broke in the starter cap (whatever you call it) so there is no way to recoil the rope once you tried starting it.

That on top of leaky oil = God tellin me it's time to move on.

I picked up a Craftsman with 190cc motor, it's a pretty decent mower with some confusing plastic elements where there shouldn't be any plastic...

AND the blades miss grass all of the time!? Just like when my old toros blade was beat-up. But at least with the toro a simple sharpening of a bashed up blade fixed that, I don't know what's up with this mower.