Painting My 1988 MTD Lawn Tractor

BRubble

Threads
First of all, I'd like to say,, since I bought this '88 38" 12hp MTD Lawn Tractor, 26 year's ago, I am thorougly displeased with the Mower.

Every Year I have to spend at least 4 or 5 dollor's on Some little something,, and it just never end's. for example the Seat only lasted 10 year's, Ever body know's a seat ought to last at least 20 year's. The Ignition Switch only lasted 20 year's, an ignition switch should last at least 40 or 50 year's. I've had to replace the Belt's at least 1 time in 26 year's.

And Worst of All,, My Neighbor's have gotten several Brand New Mower's since I got mine. It just really Irk's me,, to see My Neighbor's driveing their Brand New Shiney Mower's,, and I'm still haveing to use this 1988 Mower. My motto is Waste Not, Want Not,, and This thing just keep's going Year After Year.

I replaced the Blade Spindle's about 12 year's ago,, and wouldn't you know it,, they started makeing noise again this Year. Surely Blade Spindle's should last as long as the Motor Still Run's.

Dropped the Deck,, and found that only the Right Side Spindle was going bad. I ordered both,, but will just install the Right Side,, since it is pretty easy to drop the Deck for install.

While the Deck is off, I'm going to Sand and Repaint it. Anybody checked on the price of a New Deck. Before you do,, They cost a Pretty Penny,, and it pay's to keep the Deck in good Shape.

About 12 year's ago,, I put some pain on the Mower,, and I think that the Mower is deserving of some more Sheet Metal Paint again.

Originally the Mower was Black and Silver, and I painted it all Black.

This time, I'm going with Navy Blue and Black. Anybody that has Repainted their Mower, have any pic's to see your Color Scheme? Sure would appreciate it.

Last time, I just used Rustoleum Primer and Paint on the Deck and Sheet Metal. Since the Deck has lasted for 26 year's,, and is still in good Shape,, Rustoleum seem's good enough for me.

If you've got any idea's of a Color Scheme, I sure would be appreciative. Nothing Weird,, Like Flame's or Lightning ,, Just something Nice, Simple, and Plain, so that the Neighbor's will see my Brand New Mower,, that is 26 year's old.

Thanks,

PS ~ This is the First and Only Lawn Tractor, that I have ever owned, and I'm pretty Dissatisfied with it. :smile:

LazerZLandscaping

Threads
First of all, I'd like to say,, since I bought this '88 38" 12hp MTD Lawn Tractor, 26 year's ago, I am thorougly displeased with the Mower.

Every Year I have to spend at least 4 or 5 dollor's on Some little something,, and it just never end's. for example the Seat only lasted 10 year's, Ever body know's a seat ought to last at least 20 year's. The Ignition Switch only lasted 20 year's, an ignition switch should last at least 40 or 50 year's. I've had to replace the Belt's at least 1 time in 26 year's.

And Worst of All,, My Neighbor's have gotten several Brand New Mower's since I got mine. It just really Irk's me,, to see My Neighbor's driveing their Brand New Shiney Mower's,, and I'm still haveing to use this 1988 Mower. My motto is Waste Not, Want Not,, and This thing just keep's going Year After Year.

I replaced the Blade Spindle's about 12 year's ago,, and wouldn't you know it,, they started makeing noise again this Year. Surely Blade Spindle's should last as long as the Motor Still Run's.

Dropped the Deck,, and found that only the Right Side Spindle was going bad. I ordered both,, but will just install the Right Side,, since it is pretty easy to drop the Deck for install.

While the Deck is off, I'm going to Sand and Repaint it. Anybody checked on the price of a New Deck. Before you do,, They cost a Pretty Penny,, and it pay's to keep the Deck in good Shape.

About 12 year's ago,, I put some pain on the Mower,, and I think that the Mower is deserving of some more Sheet Metal Paint again.

This time, I'm going with Navy Blue and Black. Anybody that has Repainted their Mower, have any pic's to see your Color Scheme? Sure would appreciate it.

Last time, I just used Rustoleum Primer and Paint on the Deck and Sheet Metal. Since the Deck has lasted for 26 year's,, and is still in good Shape,, Rustoleum seem's good enough for me.

If you've got any idea's of a Color Scheme, I sure would be appreciative. Nothing Weird,, Like Flame's or Lightning ,, Just something Nice, Simple, and Plain, so that the Neighbor's will see my Brand New Mower,, that is 26 year's old.

Thanks,

PS ~ This is the First and Only Lawn Tractor, that I have ever owned, and I'm pretty Dissatisfied with it. :smile:

Can you send a pic?

Are you considering a new mower soon?

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
First of all, I'd like to say,, since I bought this '88 38" 12hp MTD Lawn Tractor, I am thorougly displeased with the Mower.

Thanks,

I would go back with black and silver, the original paint colors but everyone has their preferences. You've cared for it well.

I bought a new tractor in 84 and it wouldn't die. had to replace the ignition switch within 2 hours of operation. It's been running ever since. Should I shut it off?:laughing:

On the other hand my central A/C had its 30th anniversary this past May and I had to replace a capacitor about 10 years ago. Typical summers like 2011 of 65 days above 100°. Now that's aggravating.

BRubble

Threads
Can you send a pic?

Are you considering a new mower soon?

Sure am,, just as soon as this one bite's the dust. So far,, the Engine Run's just as good and smooth, as when it was Brand New.

Can't Figure this MTD out. How Long are these thing's suppose to last anyway.

As long as this one continues to Mow Grass,, I'll have to keep it,, cause of the Old Motto, "Waste Not, Want Not".

I'll look around to see if I've got a picture of 2 to post up. My Camera only lasted about 2 year's. Wish MTD made
Camera's.:smile:

LazerZLandscaping

Threads
Sure am,, just as soon as this one bite's the dust. So far,, the Engine Run's just as good and smooth, as when it was Brand New.

Can't Figure this MTD out. How Long are these thing's suppose to last anyway.

As long as this one continues to Mow Grass,, I'll have to keep it,, cause of the Old Motto, "Waste Not, Want Not".

I'll look around to see if I've got a picture of 2 to post up. My Camera only lasted about 2 year's. Wish MTD made
Camera's.:smile:

MTD's don't last long today!! All plastic Chinese made junk.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
The variable speed sheave is only about 18 years over due for rebuild or replacement.:smile:

briggs

Threads
MTD is the cheapest POS u can buy ..I work on them everyday Nothing is made to last on them :thumbdown:

BRubble

Threads
MTD's don't last long today!! All plastic Chinese made junk.

I know exactly what you mean,, cause that is the same thing that they told me,, back in 1988.

Yep Plastic back then too. Ordered new Front Wheel Bushing's about 10 year's ago,, cause I knew those Plastic Junk Bushing's were shot.

I was Stunned to see that the Bushing's were in Good Shape,, and only 2 wore worn enough to replace. Greaseing the Front Wheel's every 6 month's pay's off.

And Greaseing the Rear Transaxle once a year,, also pay's off too, cause on mine,, they didn't put much Grease in the Rear Axle Houseing from the Plant.

Don't know what I'll get next. Been looking though,, just in case. All the mower's that I've checked so far,, have the same amount of Slack in the Steering Wheel that mine does. Includeing HuskyVarna & JD.

I'm sure that the New Stuff,, isn't make to last as long as the Old Stuff though.

When It come's time,, I'd like to get another I/C Engine,, but look's like B&S have replaced that with the Intek Engine.

These thing's are so simple to work on,, that, I may just drive it,, tilst it Bite's the dust. We'll make another evaluation in 10 more year's if not sooner.

I would go back with black and silver, the original paint colors but everyone has their preferences. You've cared for it well.

I bought a new tractor in 84 and it wouldn't die. had to replace the ignition switch within 2 hours of operation. It's been running ever since. Should I shut it off?

On the other hand my central A/C had its 30th anniversary this past May and I had to replace a capacitor about 10 years ago. Typical summers like 2011 of 65 days above 100ー. Now that's aggravating.

Thanks SC,

While the Deck is off,, I put new Spindle Brake's on,, and also new Pad's for the Rear Axle Disk Brake. Had no idea,, that the Little Bitty pad's were still available. Got all the part's off of Ebay,, and Saved a Bundle on Everything.

Still get a Kick out of seeing how long I can keep this thing going. I've had to adjust the Idle and High Speed Mixture's a couple time's,, but I think putting Sta-Bil in the Gas Container's has really helped the Carburetor. This season,, the Idle Speed started malfunctioning,, and I put some Stable in the Mower Tank,, and Adjusted the Idle mixture. Must have been a little bit of Varnish,, cause it seemed to break loose,, and Engine was back to Purring like a kitty.

Alway's rinsed her off,, and kept in Garage tilst next mowing,, which I'm sure has helped.

Just some thing's I've done that might help other's down the road.

Anybody got any more Paint Scheme Idea's?

Thanks,

BRubble

Threads
MTD is the cheapest POS u can buy ..I work on them everyday Nothing is made to last on them :thumbdown:

I'm totally with you Brother,, cause I just hate mine after 26 year's.

Nothing but Crap Crap Crap in the Crapper.

I'll let you in on a little bitty secret though. Most people that buy the least expensive mower's like MTD,, don't have much money or experience to know how to take care of their stuff.

Some don't even change the oil in their Auto's,, and No Way on their Lawn Mower's.

Many just leave them out in the Yard,, when they quit mowing,, and expect them to start right up Next Season.

Some People can Tear a High End Machine up in One Season,, While Some can keep the cheapest Machine's going for Year's and Year's.

It all depend's on the Owner,, and How well they take care of their Stuff.

I'm not saying that a JD, HuskyVarna, Cub Cadet, and some other more expensive mower's aren't better,, cause they are for sure. Especially the one's with the Greaseable Spindle's.

But the Big Diff,, is how they are taken care of. IMO

NorthBama

Threads
the weedeater one should be on that list