Overflowing fuel

dartlover67

Threads
I have a 15 hp Briggs and Stratton engine on my Craftsman Lawn Tractor.I shut it off today and gas came gushing out of the carb dripping everywhere.I clamped the gas line and removed the air filter and there was gas evreywhere.I have never seen this before.Going to have to drain the oil and put in new,I'm affraid it may have gotten in the crankcase.Any ideas what meay have caused this?Looking for some starting points please.

slammed

Threads
I have a 15 hp Briggs and Stratton engine on my Craftsman Lawn Tractor.I shut it off today and gas came gushing out of the carb dripping everywhere.I clamped the gas line and removed the air filter and there was gas evreywhere.I have never seen this before.Going to have to drain the oil and put in new,I'm affraid it may have gotten in the crankcase.Any ideas what meay have caused this?Looking for some starting points please.

Yea if anyone has any idea I have one to like this.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
The float OR needle & seat are stuck open, allowing fuel to flow unchecked...
You will have to free it up, or replace the needle/seat.
You may also want to put a manual shut off valve in the fuel line, it will prevent this from happening again... & your oil is likely spoiled with fuel.
The fuel shut off will need to be turned on when mowing and shut off at any time the engine is off... i
:smile:KennyV

slammed

Threads
The float OR needle & seat are stuck open, allowing fuel to flow unchecked...
You will have to free it up, or replace the needle/seat.
You may also want to put a manual shut off valve in the fuel line, it will prevent this from happening again... & your oil is likely spoiled with fuel.
The fuel shut off will need to be turned on when mowing and shut off at any time the engine is off... i
:smile:KennyV

I have taken the carb off. Cleaned it all. Put it back on and cleaned the tank too and it still does this. I have put a shut off valve on it and as soon as you turn it on the fuel starts running out the carb again. After I cleaned it I mean right after I cleaned the carb I could us the mower for about 10 min. before it started dumping fuel again.

scott47429

Threads
it has to be the float or needle sounds like the needle isn't shutting off the fuel or the float is sinking make sure the lost isn't full of fuel and the seat is in nice and flat and the needle is seated in the seat also turn the carb upside down with the bowel off and see if the float sits flat to the carb base if not either the seat isn't right or the float needs adjusted but then again the needle,seat and float may need replaced

possum

Threads
You may have to clean the whole fuel system to keep the crud from the carb. Sometimes the tank has what looks like fuel but is more like glue in the bottom, the fuel fiter can have the same stuff. The inside of the fuel lines can have a soft crap as well.

slammed

Threads
it has to be the float or needle sounds like the needle isn't shutting off the fuel or the float is sinking make sure the lost isn't full of fuel and the seat is in nice and flat and the needle is seated in the seat also turn the carb upside down with the bowel off and see if the float sits flat to the carb base if not either the seat isn't right or the float needs adjusted but then again the needle,seat and float may need replaced

You may have to clean the whole fuel system to keep the crud from the carb. Sometimes the tank has what looks like fuel but is more like glue in the bottom, the fuel fiter can have the same stuff. The inside of the fuel lines can have a soft crap as well.

I'll give it another look scott maybe I missed something. I have cleaned everything possum I changed the lines and all.

DaveTN

Threads
I have taken the carb off. Cleaned it all. Put it back on and cleaned the tank too and it still does this. I have put a shut off valve on it and as soon as you turn it on the fuel starts running out the carb again. After I cleaned it I mean right after I cleaned the carb I could us the mower for about 10 min. before it started dumping fuel again.

Did you make sure to check the carburetor bowl gasket to make sure it's seated properly? Not in a twist, pinched, etc? I've had that problem on many units. Could also be an old carburetor bowl gasket making it leak. Tiny cracks in it etc. If it's pouring out the carburetor inlet, sounds like needle and seat issues. Probably some minor thing causing major problem!

slammed

Threads
Did you make sure to check the carburetor bowl gasket to make sure it's seated properly? Not in a twist, pinched, etc? I've had that problem on many units. Could also be an old carburetor bowl gasket making it leak. Tiny cracks in it etc. If it's pouring out the carburetor inlet, sounds like needle and seat issues. Probably some minor thing causing major problem!

Yea I have checked everything in those areas. But it never hurts to take a second look at them. Or third.:confused2:

wfrpalm

Threads
I was having this same problem and I discovered the float had gas in it and was too heavy to float.