Older Murray 309029x92B no reverse

Mike0627

Forum Newbie
Threads
In fact the forward speeds are not really working too well either. I only have maybe two different forward speeds. I have tried adjusting the shifting with the adjuster nut to no avail. It actually feels like there is no fluid in the casing. Is that possible? well probable? The shift linkage is not very smooth at all. I really have to jerk it around.
What type of oil goes in that drive unit?

TIA
Mike

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Your unit uses a Peerless Transaxle, which uses SAE 90 EP oil in it. Your problems sounds like either worn shift keys and or worn gears. Only way to tell is to pull the transaxle and disassemble it. This manual may help you. Just a warning if you decide to open up the transaxle. There are many sharp edges on the internal parts that can cut quickly and deeply. Two, you must always remember where and which direction you removed each part. In some cases flipping some washers will result in unit not working after reassembly. Finally SAE 90 EP oil is not around much any more. My recommendation as a substitute use Kubota UDT, but not Super UDT.

http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/12502267/B&S Service Manuals/02_271172TwinCylinderLHead.pdf

Mike0627

Forum Newbie
Threads
Your unit uses a Peerless Transaxle, which uses SAE 90 EP oil in it. Your problems sounds like either worn shift keys and or worn gears.

Thank you for taking the time to post this. I'll check it out.

Thanks again