Older MTD 3hp edger carb puzzle..

grumpygrizzly

Threads
OK, so a guy called me and told me he had an MTD 3hp edger that he wanted me to pick up for free. He wasn't at the house but left it out front. There was a bag tied to the handlebars. Inside were all the little connection parts for the outside of the carb..

The model number on the Edger Trimmer sticker reads 6059..

After cleaning a half in of gunk off the deck of the edger, I found the model number.

248-604-013. Looks like it was made in 1988.

Apparently he tried to fix it himself, got in too deep and gave up.

I've gone through the carb and done a thorough cleaning and now I'm trying to figure out how the throttle and governor controls hook up to the outside.

There are basically two parts that are giving me the fits. I've attached pictures of the two parts below. There's a spot up near the air intake on the carb that is where the throttle cable goes I'm pretty sure and one of the parts is screwed in that spot to hold the outside of the cable secure. There's a second hole down and to the right of that hole. These are the only two holes that have threads for the two screw that go in them.

If anyone can point me in the right direction or take a picture of one of these setups without the air cleaner in the way, I'd definitely appreciate it. I've already spent a couple of hours on this unit just so it doesn't beat me. I don't like losing battles like this. I've got an engineering mind and can usually figure these things out.

This one has me stuck..

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• photo 1(1).jpg
    photo 1(1).jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 14
  • photo 2(1).jpg
    photo 2(1).jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 10
  • photo 3(1).jpg
    photo 3(1).jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 21
  • photo 4.jpg
    photo 4.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 18
  • photo 5.jpg
    photo 5.jpg
    172.4 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Was the little shoulder screw in the bag too?

In general, you will need to find and post all of the Briggs model, type, and code numbers.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Here, I found this on Bing, your setup should be one of these.

Attachments

• BriggsSmallHorzontalCarbLinkage.jpg
    BriggsSmallHorzontalCarbLinkage.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 24

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Here is one with your type choke..

Attachments

• full-2772-1068-bs_80202_carburetor.jpg
    full-2772-1068-bs_80202_carburetor.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 22

grumpygrizzly

Threads
Here is one with your type choke..

The images are exactly what I was looking for Fish. The screw that's holding the cable housing to the carb, I thought somehow the part just to the right of it helped to hold that down.. That's where I was getting lost.

Can I ask what you used for your search criteria?

I looked all over using different terms and all I could get was the view from the exact opposite side of the carb area..

Thanks a bunch, now I have to see if all the little bits are there. I think they are and it would be cool to get this edger back out there working again.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
I just went to Bing images, and typed in 'Briggs carb linkage" or something like that.

grumpygrizzly

Threads
Thanks for the help Fish..

With the location of that one piece, I still had to fight with it for about another hour before I finally got all the wires and springs in the right places.

Put it all back together, sprayed a little ether in the throat and it fired up.. A couple of adjustments and that old dog is ready to hunt again..

Love getting those old dogs back out in the yard to do what they do best..

Good thing this is just an over obsessed hobby right now or I wouldn't be making much money.. hah.. I put quite a few hours into that and all told, if I sell it for my asking price, I guess I'd be making about $15 an hour on that one.

It's a lot less than what I make doing the engineering work I've been doing for the last 30 years but, I sure feel a lot better when those things fire up and the life comes back into them than drawing models in a 3D cadd program and never seeing the end results.