OLD engine to deck belt on XW2500

BobM53

Threads
We have an old '89 XW 2500 mower with the 60" deck. We have replaced the engine to deck belt and the deck spins up all right. But it now seems that the belt is slipping. In tall grass, the engine doesn't seem to be working very hard, but the blade speed drops off a lot. Looking at the pulley, the belt looks too narrow. Does anyone remember if the old XWs had a wider engine to deck belt than the newer models? The length seems fine. It is just the width that seems off.
Any help will be appreciated. :thumbsup:

BobM53

Threads
No old time Dixie Owners? :frown:

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Manuals | Dixie Chopper Click on standard production manual & download at bottom left of screen, pages 35-37.

Call or email Dixie Chopper for correct belt size, be sure to have all numbers handy including model, serial, as well as all numbers from engine.

Page 37 item 1 engine - deck belt part # 65080 for 60" deck.

Contact Us | Dixie Chopper

Last edited:

BobM53

Threads
Yeah, I tried the manual link before ( And just to be safe, I tried again before posting this reply! ) . But these manuals only go back to 1999 and my xw2500 is an '89. That is why I posted this thread. Honestly, I did a search before posting the thread. I was hoping someone would either have an older model like mine, or they would remember about the pulley and belt size. But thanks for posting your reply. :frown:

dixieseller

Threads
Yeah, I tried the manual link before ( And just to be safe, I tried again before posting this reply! ) . But these manuals only go back to 1999 and my xw2500 is an '89. That is why I posted this thread. Honestly, I did a search before posting the thread. I was hoping someone would either have an older model like mine, or they would remember about the pulley and belt size. But thanks for posting your reply. :frown:

That old 1998 Dixie used a B-80 belt, With the engagement lever in the "Engaged" position, measure the engagement spring-end to end - should be 2", turn the nut to get the right length

BobM53

Threads
Thanks! I'll try that. And I'll check the belt.
Like I said, it seems to "slip" instead of making the engine work harder. And when it is slipping, the blade sound changes.