old craftsman LT1000 no reverse

Rascle

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a old crapsman ( 15 + years old ) no reverse. Ive done all the adjustments with no sucess it will just inch backwards. I can hear a whining sound when its trying, like a hydraulic whine you would hear on a bobcat or front loader. Just wondering if adding fluid would do the trick. It goes forward with no problem at all.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Need the model number from the serial number tag. But the LT1000 I looked appear to have Dana/Peerless transaxle. We need to see the IPL so we know what the setup is that you have.

Rascle

Forum Newbie
Threads
Model # 917.273.380 Sereal # unreadable

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
A good thing that you posted the actual model number as this one has a Hydro-gear transaxle 322-0510 which is a hydrostatic unit.

Now maybe someone here can help with this problem. I personally have seen this problem so I am of no help.

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
no specific answer but any transmission low on oil would be a bad thing. Old oil can be an issue too. I remember taking a differential cover off a friend's car one time that had quite a few years on it. The paraffin in the oil had separated out from all the whipping, like butter comes out of cream when whipped. What a difference new fluid made.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I have never seen this either
Forwards or backwards is just a valve that sends the oil left or right from the pump to the motor so I can not see any reason why it would be slower in reverse apart from the valve not opening .
The only bad reversing i have fixed was due to wear in the control pedals so the reverse pedal was flat to the floor way before the control rod had travelled its full length .
Download the service manual & parts book from HydroGear and look for yourself.
I suppose the swash plate could have worn a track in the case preventing it moving all the way to full reverse .
Now hydros should be quiet
The more worn they get the louder they get