old Briggs 5HP no spark/coil upgrade?

homesteaderman

Forum Newbie
Threads
Greetings,

I have a Briggs horizontal shaft 5HP from it looks like 1969. I picked it up for $20 attached to a tiller. Currently it has no spark and I'm looking to upgrade this unit to electronic ignition and avoid the points and condenser entirely. I'm hoping this is possible, and I have heard mixed responses.

Attached is a picture of the coil I removed, it's rusty/crusty and the laminations have started to separate.

Can someone give me an idea of a part number for the new solid state coil? Thanks for the help :)

Engine model is 100202

4rhHD8K.jpg

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Part number 397358 is the electronic module to replace your old point version. Briggs doesn't supply the old point modules any more. So you can't get the point style ignition if you wanted it.

homesteaderman

Forum Newbie
Threads
Part number 397358 is the electronic module to replace your old point version. Briggs doesn't supply the old point modules any more. So you can't get the point style ignition if you wanted it.

Thanks for confirming what I thought ILENGINE. I wanted to be as sure as possible about the replacement part number before ordering again. I ordered this part and it's not even remotely right, despite having the part number. I think some of these guys just spam part numbers in their ads.

Briggs Stratton 298316 395491 397358 697037 Armature Ignition Coil Magneto | eBay

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I think they have the 591420 module in place of the 697358 module in the ad. Briggs changed suppliers for their ignition modules last year, and most of the new modules don't look like the module they are replacing on some cases.

homesteaderman

Forum Newbie
Threads
I think they have the 591420 module in place of the 697358 module in the ad. Briggs changed suppliers for their ignition modules last year, and most of the new modules don't look like the module they are replacing on some cases.

Interesting info, thx. Do you have a good source to buy the coil I need? I've heard something about changing the key for the flywheel when switching over to electronic ignition. Something about adjusting ignition timing with a new key. Do you think that is needed?

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
You don't need to change the key on Briggs, The new module may come with a new key but unless you want, there is no need to change the flywheel key. On some tecumseh engines you had to change the key due to the electronic module was triggered different than the points systems.

that looks like the correct module in your last post. I change a module yesterday on a new pressure washer for Menards because somebody had cut the wire off. the module on the engine looked like the 591420 module, but what was in the box I ordered this week looks like the 697358 module.

homesteaderman

Forum Newbie
Threads
Just thought I'd update and share that I got it running tonight after replacing the coil with the one I linked above. It runs now, albeit very very poorly. She smokes and sputters and stinks, but she starts. progress :)