Old Bolens issues

the neighbor

Forum Newbie
Threads
Last summer I bought an old Bolens ST 125 Hydro w/a 38" deck. I know its old, but don't know how old. I bought it at a yard sale where theyhad just finished mowing an acre or so of foot-and-a-half weeds, so I figured it was OK. Well, its having what I figure are varnish issues. I've been running heavy doses of Seafoam additive in the gas, but it still runs erraticly. That is to say, low on power (well I know its only 12 1/2 HP) stumbles, loses power, and engine speed fluctuates considerably. I CAN generally pull the choke most of the way out and continue to mow 'til it pulls itself together and runs right. The hood and shrouding on the machine makes it difficult to mess w/the carb, so I've opened up one of the holes in the mesh of the grille for a long screwdriver to reach the mixture screw. running this in and out a few times will sometimes clear up the issue. I have replaced the fuel filter with a larger (clear) automotive one, and its showing no "stuff. I've had the bottom of the carb off and cleaned that out. Any ideas? Otherwise, its an awesome unit. Also, does anyone know of a wrecking yard or outlet that deals in Bolens? I'm in Eastern Oregon (Baker City)

digger2

Forum Newbie
Threads
If your still working on that Bolens,dont give up.I have a ST 125 hydro.Its a great machine once you get all the bugs worked out of it.I assume it has the original 12.5 briggs twin.If it does,pull the heads off and check to see if the valve seats are tight in their pockets.If they are loose,they are just floating around in there and not seating.This means intermitent loss of compression.Thats what
happened to mine.Check it out.
digger2
P.S.-if you do find that is the problem,there is a temporary fix if you are interested,BUT I ENDED UP REPLACING MY ENGINE WITH A 14.5 BRIGGS.

Last edited:

indypower

Threads
Pull the carb off and clean it. Varnish is built up inside it clogging the pinholes.

digger2

Forum Newbie
Threads
I also want to say,i like mine so much i bought another one just for parts.Although these machines
are just a riding mower and not a garden tractor,they are built pretty decent.Just check out the rear axle on these things-a solid 1".You'll have a hard time finding that on any of these new riders you see at the "big box stores" nowdays.Even if it means a little $$$,i'd fix it.
digger2