Oil Through Air Filter

bk10s

Threads
Thank you again to all of you who helped me through my no-start problem that was finally solved as a bad fuel solenoid. Briggs 350777 Vanguard 18hp. Runs strong, but a LOT of oil running out of the air cleaner. So much that it is dripping on the exhaust. I'm frustrated because I just put all that time in tracking down the fuel problem. New breather tube, valves adjusted properly, clean oil at proper level. How would you attack this? 625 hours. It is in a Simplicity Broadmoor 1693600.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
hat happens because the float valve in the carb fails .
Fuel runs into the cylinder , past the rings & into the sump
Sump is then overilled with thin oil which gets blowh into the breather and into the air filter housing .

bk10s

Threads
Thank you, bertsmobile1. That is a bummer, as the NEW carb solved my solenoid problem! Now what do I do?? Grrrrr

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Clean the end of the float needle and the seat
Crank the engine without the float bowl on and check that the float cits off the fuel before it touches the carb.
THE BULK OF THE CHEAP CARBS OFFERRED ON SCAMAZON & EVILPAY ARE QUALITY CONTROL REJECTS .

bk10s

Threads
And I thought I was so smart with the knockoff carb…Live and learn. Back to work on this!

bk10s

Threads
As I am taking things apart, I noticed that the valve cover gasket on the side with the tube to the fuel pump is pushed out. Valve cover is tight. Excessive blow-by? I'm not dismissing the problem with the float needle on the knock off carb. The bowl doesn't come off! Time to bite the bullet and pay for a proper 847395 replacement carb!

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
you can take the bowl off. you just need a thinned down 1/2" or in some cases 12mm wrench to take the solenoid off.

bk10s

Threads
With oil in the valve cover should I be considering head gasket leaking?

bk10s

Threads
Update: Luckily, I was able to find the correct Briggs carb.......Used! Put it on, changed the oil, and.................. "Ta-Da!!!!" New life!! Thank you so much bertsmobile1 and scrubcated10. You are the best!