Oil Sensor Scag SSZ 18hp Kohler Mag'

RaulMcCai

Threads
I am trying to find the oil sensor.

The mower is the older underpowered scag 48" rider with the 18 hp kohler Magnum vertical shaft.
I have the manual but the images are so poor that I can't make anything out. Oddly no mention is made of the oil sensor. On the manual for the horizontal shaft version of this motor the picture showing the oil sensor is clear and the thing is labeled. But no on my model

My oil sensor keeps shutting my machine off.
I want to remove the wire and either ground it or whatever to take it out of the equation. I could replace it but the mower is on it's last season.

It reports falsely shutting my engine down or not allowing it to start for no good reason.

Does any one know where the oil sensor is? I have a suspicion it's around toward the front where I can't see it.
Edit/Delete Message

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Looking at the manual its just above the oil filter.

RaulMcCai

Threads
That would be true if it were a horizontal shaft engine.
There is no oil filter on the engine. The filter is outboard fed by hoses mounted on an angle bracket.
The manual does not show where the sensor is on the vertical shaft engine. The picture quality of my PDF is hideous. It's all black

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Post the model numbers so we can see the engine you have. Some of these engines did not have an oil sensor.

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
I do know the difference between horizontal/vertical shaft engine, If its by the filter, its by the filter..! and if you can't see one it has'nt got one....not all have them....simple.

Attachments

• Screenshot_1.jpg
    Screenshot_1.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot_2.jpg
    Screenshot_2.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 11

RaulMcCai

Threads
Post the model numbers so we can see the engine you have. Some of these engines did not have an oil sensor.

MV18

Hey~!!!

I found a better PDF with clear images
http://www.kohlerengines.com/onlinecatalog/pdf/52_590_03.pdf
Shows the sensor next to where the filter would be if they had not mounted it outboard.
It's over in front of the dip stick.

Now it's all a matter of growing that extra joint in my arm to reach around and grab it.

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yes that is a much better PDF file, thanks for posted it up.:thumbsup:

RaulMcCai

Threads
The oil drain on this configuration is hinky too. Becauyse they put a steel plate under the engine you can't get to the drain.
So they added a plumbing steel elbow to the works dropping that through a hole in the steel plate.
Makes it real easy to access the drain.
However there is a dark side. The ell works itself loose and leaks oil around the threads.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Remove and clean it. When you reassemble put some Teflon tape on and tighten. Should solve the problem.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Kudos to the mfg who put an "oil sensor" on any AC tractor, or water-cooled for that matter. You have not said if it is oil pressure or oil temp ( perhaps you don't know) . If you're trying to end its days, defeating an engine shutoff feature due to low oil pressure or high oil temp will do it for you.