Oil question for SS 5060

wbw

Threads
I've just had my SS 5060 with the Kawasaki 23 hp engine for about a month now. The machine had 4.3 hours on the meter before I mowed today. I checked the oil before mowing and was surprised to see that it was just a little bit above the low mark. Oil was checked cold, in the garage, which is almost level except for the slightest slant to the doors. I'm pretty sure it read 'full' when I got it. So I added some Castrol GTX 10W-30 that I had on hand.

Does that motor need a special oil (low ash maybe)? I remember with my old Cub lawn tractor with the Kohler motor, if I used regular automotive oil it would use oil very quickly. When I switched to Cub Cadet oil, it rarely needed oil to be added.

So I'm surprised that it was low on oil after only 4.3 hours, and what oil should I be using?

Thanks for any help.

briggs

Threads
I've just had my SS 5060 with the Kawasaki 23 hp engine for about a month now. The machine had 4.3 hours on the meter before I mowed today. I checked the oil before mowing and was surprised to see that it was just a little bit above the low mark. Oil was checked cold, in the garage, which is almost level except for the slightest slant to the doors. I'm pretty sure it read 'full' when I got it. So I added some Castrol GTX 10W-30 that I had on hand.

Does that motor need a special oil (low ash maybe)? I remember with my old Cub lawn tractor with the Kohler motor, if I used regular automotive oil it would use oil very quickly. When I switched to Cub Cadet oil, it rarely needed oil to be added.

So I'm surprised that it was low on oil after only 4.3 hours, and what oil should I be using?

Thanks for any help.

i use SAE30

wbw

Threads
But should I be using a special oil (Kawasaki) or something for mower engines, or just regular auto oil? I didn't expect it to be low so quickly.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Some fresh engines can use a little oil during break-in.. I wouldn't be too alarmed by this, unless you see a leak.. The small amount of auto oil won't hurt anything. Your engine carries about 70 ounces w/filter.. But read your Owners Manual..

You should be nearing the Kawi recommended 8 hour oil change anyhow.. I use the Kawi oil (30w)& Kawi filter, since I am still under 3 year warranty..

Just keep checking it, before each use.. And more often if you feel the need..

wbw

Threads
Thanks Bud. I'll pick up some Kawi oil in a straight 30 weight.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Thanks Bud. I'll pick up some Kawi oil in a straight 30 weight.

You don't have to use Kawasaki oil. Any good 30w motor oil will work. LIke someone said some engines use oil during break-in period. If you check your manual it will tell you that using a multi grade oil like 10w30 or 10w40 can increase oil consumption and your oil needs to be checked more frequently, the brand has nothing to do with it. I use 10w30 in all my Kawasaki engines and have never had any issues. It's a good habit to get into regardless of what oil you use to check it every-time before you use the mower.

wbw

Threads
It's a good habit to get into regardless of what oil you use to check it every-time before you use the mower.

I agree, but I guess I got lazy with my Cub Cadet. After I switched to CC oil it barely used any oil at all. Regular oil it would go through pretty quickly.

Lawn Addict
Threads
I never start any of mine with-OUT checking the oil first...

And my Toro Dealer told me that if I ever have any engine issue, my Kawasaki engine better have a Kawi oil filter on it for warranty purposes...

Just saying..

Ric- What oil filters are you using on your Kawasaki engines ?

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
I never start any of mine with-OUT checking the oil first...

And my Toro Dealer told me that if I ever have any engine issue, my Kawasaki engine better have a Kawi oil filter on it for warranty purposes...

Just saying..

Ric- What oil filters are you using on your Kawasaki engines ?

49065-7007 Kawasaki oil filter. Every 50 hrs.

Lawn Addict
Threads
49065-7007 Kawasaki oil filter. Every 50 hrs.

That's precisely what mine takes as well, & will continue getting every 50 hrs too.. Thank You Sir..