OIL LEVEL

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
I hope that you are checking when the engine has sat overnight and as outlined in the engine manual. I linked to the manual above.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Nephew's stump grinder has a 35 hp Briggs Vanguard that calls for 78-80 ounces, and has always shown full on the dipstick at 64 ounces.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Many different B & S dip sticks will interchange so it is worthwhile checking the dip stick against the sump join line
On just about every vertical crank mower engine I have ever worked on the correct oil level is just above the sump joint .
So you position the dip stick in the reading position next to the tube ( note some are done up some are not ) and see where the oil level line is with respect to the sump gasket.
I have found more than 1 engine with the wrong dip stick fitted .

Freddie21

Threads
Just changed oil on a generator and had same problem. Said 1.6qts which way over filled it. Drained some out and it's been fine. Figured just didn't get it all out and the spec was for dry engine.

rhiebert

Threads
Hey y'all, I have a 2023 JD Z320R with 12 hours on her. I changed the oil and filter last week as it is the end of my season. My problem is, the manual calls for 2.2 qts of oil. I refilled with 2.0 qts, and it is way over full. I smelled it off the dip stick for gas but can't really tell if it's gas or just the oil I smell. Anybody else having this issue? TIA.......Billy
Had a similar issue with our snowblower, ie. gasoline leaked from the tank into the oil pan. Was told to make sure the gas tank is drained before being stored for the summer.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
There is lots of reasons for different fill amounts. Even properly filled engines can initially read incorrect; unless, the engine is allowed to breathe a little. Any mechanic worth his salt will tell you that it is impossible to fully drain every engine which why have open up engines on a rimmed work bench if we are to contain the oil spilled.

As for fuel leaking into the crankcase the only real solution is to repair the source of the leakage, all others tricks are just DIYer fixes that just covers up the real problem.

vintagefred

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks! I checked it before I drained and it was full. I poured the old oil in the empty qt. bottles and got maybe a qt. and a 1/4. I'm going to drain it again and check the consistency for gas. Although, I don't know how gas could be injected into the oil.
Anytime the fuel tank is above the carburetor you can definitely get gas into the oil through leaking float/needle valve. Very common problem, can also cause hydro-lock. Have had both problems with all types of engines, differing equipment, even fairly new. Install a fuel shut-off valve in-line before the carb and make sure you use it every time you shut off the engine.

ss63

Threads
Well I can add I always tip / angle machine so oil drain hole is at the lowest point & let it drain over nite after a long run so oil is hot when draining out this might help ? as I did this with my PU truck few hours later put tray away to put in waste barrel did not need the truck for a few days & would not believe how much oil was in my clean garage floor !! lol hope this helps ?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Well I can add I always tip / angle machine so oil drain hole is at the lowest point & let it drain over nite after a long run so oil is hot when draining out this might help ? as I did this with my PU truck few hours later put tray away to put in waste barrel did not need the truck for a few days & would not believe how much oil was in my clean garage floor !! lol hope this helps ?
Now wait a minute. Isn't a clean garage floor a sign of a sick mechanic? Just kidding.....The last time I saw my garage floor clean was when it was new. Though I am planning on coating it so I can clean up my messes if I ever get everything out.

tschwarting

Forum Newbie
Threads
Anytime the fuel tank is above the carburetor you can definitely get gas into the oil through leaking float/needle valve. Very common problem, can also cause hydro-lock. Have had both problems with all types of engines, differing equipment, even fairly new. Install a fuel shut-off valve in-line before the carb and make sure you use it every time you shut off the engine.
I have ALWAYS done that with my machines (turning off the gas and letting it run dry) and NEVER had issues restarting!