Oil Leaking from Engine Crankshaft

Dad

Threads
Hello, jamesslcx

It's leaking quite a lot. I had a paper bag slid underneath it and it got soaked in oil.

I removed the blade etc to attempt to remove the seal per Duffer72's instructions. It seemed easy enough to do but I only succeeded in buggering it up a bit in trying.

Can I just cut the old seal out and take it to a local shop for them to match it up with the right part?

Here are some more pics of the model & serial number etc.

Any and all help is much appreciated in locating a part number and further replacement procedure.

Thanks.

Attachments

• weedeater data plate.jpg
    weedeater data plate.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 10
  • Weedeater oil seal.jpg
    Weedeater oil seal.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 12

Dad

Threads
what is the model # on the mower, the engine number doesn't come up on B &S web site either.

20 inch Weedeater model: 961140014 02 SN: 050109M 028575

The seal wasn't coming out very easily so I stopped what I was doing.

Is it ok to just tear the old one out? I think I can get it out without messing up the race and seat but the rubber is already tearing. And, I'm using a dull worn down 1/8th inch screwdriver to pry with.

jamesslcx

Threads
Hey Dad It probably would'nt hurt anything to tear it out, if you buggered it up it shouldn matter because you are replacing it anyway sometimes it takes two screwdrivers or sometimes nothing but a seal puller can get it out, seems like that seal should be fairly common.

Dad

Threads
Hey Dad It probably would'nt hurt anything to tear it out, if you buggered it up it shouldn matter because you are replacing it anyway sometimes it takes two screwdrivers or sometimes nothing but a seal puller can get it out, seems like that seal should be fairly common.

Yeah, I'm pretty much committed to pulling the seal now. I might just bend the tip of that old screwdriver into a hook shape and then try and wedge it out. (without scratching anything up of course)

jamesslcx

Threads
Sometimes you can use a hook and pick set or I once saw a guy I worked with grind a little cut-out in his flathead screwdriver so he could hook it into the seal , hope this helps ...good luck.

Dad

Threads
I got the replacement oil seal installed and it's as good as new now. Maybe better.

I managed to deform the old seal enough to get a grip on it to slide it off without any damage around the seat. I went local with all the numbers from the mower to shop for a replacement seal. The shop owner at All Saw Service was very helpful and once the correct model number was straightened out he found the part in stock.

The model number stamped on the engine cover needed a Zero added to the beginning for it to come up in Briggs & Stratton's database. So, store that in the collective memory for future reference to anyone having trouble with an unknown model number being kicked back.

The lower oil seal part number for B&S Model 09S502 is PN: 391483S

Or, that's the one I was sold. I don't know if its a substitute for an Briggs part number but there it is for some one needing the same.

Thanks for all your help in guiding me to make this repair. I wouldn't have tried it without your help.

I tested the mower on a section of lawn and it's a great mower. One of the smoothness running B&S engines I've ever used. No leaks anymore. Wooohooo!

Attachments

• Seal Removed.jpg
    Seal Removed.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 10
  • New Oil Seal Installed.jpg
    New Oil Seal Installed.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 12
  • Oil Seal PN 391483S.jpg
    Oil Seal PN 391483S.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 12

jamesslcx

Threads
Good job Dad, and thanx for the advice and part num.!

Dad

Threads
I can officially list this among the repairs I can do myself in my own garage workshop.

For all the times I've looked a mower from underneath to clean it or remove the blade...I never looked at the seal as that...just a seal...or thought it accessible from the outside.

I always thought it was a sealed bearing that would need to be pressed out of the case for it to be removed.

Now, I know how to fix it right. :thumbsup:

Dad

Threads
Weed%252520Eater%25252020%252520in.jpg

I might just keep this one and add it to my collection.

jamesslcx

Threads
Dad that mower looks too good to get rid of and they do mow great! there is nothing like the pride you feel when you fix stuff with your own hands! take care.