Oil leak into air filter and carburator? Honda HRR216VKA

Karendw

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Oil leak into air filter and carburator? Honda HRR216VKA
Hi...I tipped mower to left instead of right to wash undereneath and oil leaked into air filter and there's oil inside chamber of carburator. First off, will this hurt the engine with oil in there? Also, I took off air filter and and container and when I took the two bolts out the parts fell down. I don't have a manual to know how to put this back together. Is there someone who can give me pics or tell me where the gaskets go and the other parts also? I am a non-mechanic lady, so would appreciate your help. Thanks for your response. karendw Honda HRR216VKA

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hi...I tipped mower to left instead of right to wash undereneath and oil leaked into air filter and there's oil inside chamber of carburator. First off, will this hurt the engine with oil in there? Also, I took off air filter and and container and when I took the two bolts out the parts fell down. I don't have a manual to know how to put this back together. Is there someone who can give me pics or tell me where the gaskets go and the other parts also? I am a non-mechanic lady, so would appreciate your help. Thanks for your response. karendw Honda HRR216VKA

The carburetor, air cleaner, and associated linkage, gaskets, etc. vary somewhat depending on the version of the HRR216VKA. Step 1 is to locate the full serial number on the back of the mower deck:

lmserialnumber_zps63822669.jpg

If you'll share that number, I can get you an illustration of how everything goes back together. Most importantly, the carburetor must be completely cleaned, as even a tiny speck of dirt/dust/debris can clog up the carburetor, causing a no-start, or poor running condition.

Karendw

Forum Newbie
Threads
The carburetor, air cleaner, and associated linkage, gaskets, etc. vary somewhat depending on the version of the HRR216VKA. Step 1 is to locate the full serial number on the back of the mower deck:

If you'll share that number, I can get you an illustration of how everything goes back together. Most importantly, the carburetor must be completely cleaned, as even a tiny speck of dirt/dust/debris can clog up the carburetor, causing a no-start, or poor running condition.

Serial #MZCG-9338834. Thanks!

Karendw

Forum Newbie
Threads

I have been keeping carburetor free of dirt, debris and dust as much as possible. I guess my main concern was the oil I found in carburetor chamber that came through breathing tube of crankcase. Do you know if oil would go any further into carburetor other than what I can see in chamber? If I do have to clean it, do you have instructions for that? Thanks so much for your help!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yes the oil will go right through the carb,
Usually the only damage it will do is blw a lot of smoke and foul the spark plug.
The breather fume is normally quite oily in the first place.
Once you have given the carb a little tub, turn off the fueland move the plug as far away from the plug hole as possible.
Now pull the starter rope till you no longer see oily gasses coming out of the plug hole.
Put the plug back and try to start the mower.
You might need to clean the plug a few times till it comes good.

I try to teach my customers to always tip their mowerd backwards and drop a brick on the handle to hold it up .
Most mowers will sit on the lower handlebar loop all by themselves once the upper section has been folded down.

This ends the accidental tipped the wrong way problem and is universal so you dont have to remember which side the actual intake is on.

Karendw

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yes the oil will go right through the carb,
Usually the only damage it will do is blw a lot of smoke and foul the spark plug.
The breather fume is normally quite oily in the first place.
Once you have given the carb a little tub, turn off the fueland move the plug as far away from the plug hole as possible.
Now pull the starter rope till you no longer see oily gasses coming out of the plug hole.
Put the plug back and try to start the mower.
You might need to clean the plug a few times till it comes good.

I try to teach my customers to always tip their mowerd backwards and drop a brick on the handle to hold it up .
Most mowers will sit on the lower handlebar loop all by themselves once the upper section has been folded down.

This ends the accidental tipped the wrong way problem and is universal so you dont have to remember which side the actual intake is on.

What do you mean "once you have given carb a little tub"?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
No Tub as in rub a dub dub.
There will be oil all through it so it will need to come off and get cleaned out.
As in washed, fuel, carb cleaner, WD 40, whatever floats your boat.
Some times you can get away by starting the mower and giving it little squirts of starter fluid to keep it running till the oil works its way through.
But the better way is to clean the carb.
No need to pull it apart other than removing the float bowl and giving it a swish then squirt carb cleaner through the holes.

Karendw

Forum Newbie
Threads
No Tub as in rub a dub dub.
There will be oil all through it so it will need to come off and get cleaned out.
As in washed, fuel, carb cleaner, WD 40, whatever floats your boat.
Some times you can get away by starting the mower and giving it little squirts of starter fluid to keep it running till the oil works its way through.
But the better way is to clean the carb.
No need to pull it apart other than removing the float bowl and giving it a swish then squirt carb cleaner through the holes.

The Serial # is MZCG-9338834. Can you send me the necessary instructions of how to take apart carburator and how to put all these parts back together? Thanks again...

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
The Serial # is MZCG-9338834. Can you send me the necessary instructions of how to take apart carburator and how to put all these parts back together? Thanks again...

Karen, I would not suggest disassembly and cleaning of a Honda carburetor if you've never done one before. It has a number of small and delicate parts, that not only must be 100% spotlessly cleaned, but absolutely reassembled perfectly for it to work again.

The good news is Honda does sell an entire new carburetor for only $15.91 list. I would strongly recommend just replacing it, rather than trying to properly clean and rebuild the old one.

I'd also suggest you enlist the help of your local Honda dealer to install it. It is a bit tricky to get just right, as some gaskets, spacers, etc. can be installed backwards or upside down.

But, if you still wish to DIY, you want to get the carburetor (Honda Part Number 16100-Z8B-901, insulator gasket for the engine side part number 16212-ZL8-000, and the choke side gasket, 16228-Z0L-840. Google any part number to find a Honda Dealer selling it online, or use this link to find a Honda Dealer in your area: Find A Honda Dealer

Here's how it all goes back together:

carb%201_zpsqra66lnn.jpg