Oil Leak From Drain Valve

RT9191

Forum Newbie
Threads
I've found small leaks of oil on the garage floor but couldn't tell where it was coming from on my ZT1. I cleaned the frame and laid a paper towel under where the drain valve connects to the engine and that does indeed seem to be the culprit area. Could this be a bad seal?

Attachments

• small leak.jpg
    small leak.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 28

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Appear to be a Kawasaki engine. Can verify which engine you have?

Git to look to see if this hose was provide the Engine OEM or Cub cadet.

Also need the model number from the mower serial number tag should start with 17 but may a different number.

Now if this is indeed a Kawasaki engine then the fitting should have an o-ring that is probably leaking. I think the o-ring will be a 16mm one. at what FR691V uses.
1649691450542.png

RT9191

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yes, it is the Kawasaki. FR691V

Model number is 17RIEACZ010.

That was my suspicion, the o-ring was bad. Just started noticing it recently but it only leaked every so often.

Lawn Addict
Threads
If you haven't replace the O-ring as yet,

just check to see if everything is snug. Then if that helps, you can relace O-ring at next oil change.. my Kaw did same thing..

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
And O rings really do not appreciate being twisted tight
so a little dab of rubber grease or silicon spray will go a long way to making that O ring seal for a long time

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I have not ran into this particular setup on a Kawasaki but I expect that o-ring sits in a groove on the hose adapter. If this is like the drain valve that use on these engine when the adaptor is tighten up the o-ring goes inside the mounting area. What happens is over time the o-ring shrinks and harden from heat. This when it starts leaking and must be replaced (renewed) to stop the leak. Just tightening the adapter usually will not work very long and risk striping the threads in the closer plate (oil pan / cover).

This is the drain valve that I usually see on these engines.
1649742599643.png

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Buy a Viton O ring .

If the manufacturer didn't chamfer the edge of the hole in the pan to prevent damage when the O ring is inserted , at least knock the sharp edge off with a half round file and / or emery tape .

Last edited:

captchas

Threads
owning a 2022 zt2-50 cub with the same motor, i also had the same issue, the adapter from the crankcase to drain hose was loose just a tiny amount letting oil drip past the o-ring
your machine is very likely still under warranty let the local dealer fix it,

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
owning a 2022 zt2-50 cub with the same motor, i also had the same issue, the adapter from the crankcase to drain hose was loose just a tiny amount letting oil drip past the o-ring
your machine is very likely still under warranty let the local dealer fix it,
If your adapter is like the one in reply #6 , loose just a tiny isn't what's causing the leak . That's not how O rings work .

Solve the problem yourself with a Viton O ring .

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Since I buy the 15.8mm x 2.4mm o-rings by the bag of 100. And I go through them regularly on these engines it has become a common practice to just change them at the oil change even if they are not leaking. On some the ZTR there three on these o-rings on Kawasaki engines used. At least I don't charge like JD does for these low cost seals.