Oil in head chamber?

threep3

Forum Newbie
Threads
Removed my B-S 5.5 hp engine from mower deck which had rusted out. Want to get it ready to sell but will not start. Engine was turned upside down once or twice after oil had been drained. Would any oil that had gotten into carburetor during that time be the cause of my problem? Before being removed from deck, the engine would start on 2nd or 3rd pull after priming. Your thoughts from experience would be welcomed. Thanks,

Threep3.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Is the engine mounted so you can give it a good strong pull with the starter rope like when in was in the mower frame?

threep3

Forum Newbie
Threads
Is the engine mounted so you can give it a good strong pull with the starter rope like when in was in the mower frame?

Yes. I have pulled it many times. It is mounted firmly on an elevated piece of 3/4" plywood (to clear the blade while turning). Just removed and checked the
carburetor, flushing it out with carburetor cleaner and air pressure. With no one to help, I cannot tell if the plug is firing. However, the engine was running great when I removed it from the deck.. There are no external adjustments to be made as this is a "one speed" model. I have checked to be sure that the kill switch
is not grounded. Will appreciate any suggestions.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Remove the spark plug and pull the rope a few times to purge any oil out. While the plug is out put a little gas on it and ignite it, away from the gas can of course or heat the plug with a propane torch. Put the plug back in, remove the air filter, put a tea spoon of gas in the carburetor and give it a try.

threep3

Forum Newbie
Threads
Remove the spark plug and pull the rope a few times to purge any oil out. While the plug is out put a little gas on it and ignite it, away from the gas can of course or heat the plug with a propane torch. Put the plug back in, remove the air filter, put a tea spoon of gas in the carburetor and give it a try.

Thanks for the information and suggestions. Before receiving your information, I again removed the air filter and it's housing and noticed that the primer has
a tunnel like opening in the filter gasket that leads into the carburetor. Since my engine has only one speed and no other way to "prime" it, I shot carburetor
cleaner through the "tunnel", then reassembled all. After priming and three or four quick pulls, the engine started. A lot of white smoke was emitted at first, then it stopped and kept running smoothly. Your attempt to help me was appreciated.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
A little oil in the cylindar never hurt anything :) burns off