Oil Filters

Toptech

Threads
I recently purchased a Titan MX5400. It has a kawasaki 23hp engine. Does anyone have an aftermarket oil filter number for the engine as well as the hydro units? Also, the hydro unit calls for 20w50 engine oil. I would guess that synthetic is ok to use? Thanks in advance, Terry.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Ok guess I will be the first to comment about oil and filters
You can go to any filter brands website and cross the numbers.

I use wix filters. They cost more then factory filters.

It really is best to use what came on it.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
I recently purchased a Titan MX5400. It has a kawasaki 23hp engine. Does anyone have an aftermarket oil filter number for the engine as well as the hydro units? Also, the hydro unit calls for 20w50 engine oil. I would guess that synthetic is ok to use? Thanks in advance, Terry.
Use the manufacturers filters!! Use the oil in the hydros that your manual calls for. If synthetic oil is specified then OK to use, if not specified, then don't use synthetic oil!!!
Mad Mackie in CT:laughing::biggrin::smile:

Brucebotti

Threads
I use the oil filters from the Toro dealer and they are $9-10 each. I used the Hydro-Gear filters when I changed the fluid in my ZT-2800 hydros. They were $10-11 each. For the oil, the manufacturer said:

"Typically, an engine oil with a minimum rating
of 9.0 cSt (55 SUS) at 230ー F (110ー C) and an
API classification of SL is recommended. A
20W50 engine oil has been selected for use
by the factory and is recommended for normal
operating procedures."

I went with castrol GTX non -synthetic.

The Hydro-Gear shop manual is available for download from their website.

Just my 2 cents.

Bruce

Mike88se

Threads
I'll use Purolator or Wix/Napa. I have a Mobil One for my hydro. As Carscw said there are lists of cross referenced filters out there. For Kawi engines they always seem to be filters made for small Toyota vehicles ;)

Retiredcarguy

Threads
If you ever intend to go to the manufacturer for an engine lube or hydro warranty issue, then use their filters and oil specs. If you don't care and want to save a (very) few bucks, then make your best aftermarket choice.

In either case, document all of your services, also save the receipts.

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
I use the oil filters from the Toro dealer and they are $9-10 each. I used the Hydro-Gear filters when I changed the fluid in my ZT-2800 hydros. They were $10-11 each. For the oil, the manufacturer said:

"Typically, an engine oil with a minimum rating
of 9.0 cSt (55 SUS) at 230ー F (110ー C) and an
API classification of SL is recommended. A
20W50 engine oil has been selected for use
by the factory and is recommended for normal
operating procedures."

I went with castrol GTX non -synthetic.

The Hydro-Gear shop manual is available for download from their website.

Just my 2 cents.

Bruce
I totally agree with user Brucebotti. I use OEM Kawa oil filers, will use HydroGear filters for my trannies and 20w-50 non-synthetic oil as recommended by HydroGear(and Gravely)....I am a Pennzoil-kind-of-guy.