Oil Change surprise... Question

Roll

Threads
2022 eXmark Radius 52 deck with a Kawasaki FX 691V engine. Oil eXmark 10-30 and Kawasaki Oil Filter 49065-0721

Spring engine oil and filter change. That small drain plug on the end of the hose, was a real B****** to open. Either it picked up heat from the exhaust or this was the first time it had been removed. I got it but... that's not my question.
Had mower on a slight grade running down from left to right. Ran the engine for 20 minutes to heat up the oil. Raised mower with jack in the front, maybe the front casters were 3-4 inches off the ground. Drained oil for some time until I had only a very slight drip. Replaced the drain plug and removed the oil filter. I put a touch of fresh oil on the gasket of the new filter and installed to 3/4 turn after gasket made contact.

Specs say this engine holds 2.2 quarts of oil. Poured just two quarts of oil into the crankcase and replaced the stick/cap. Ran the engine for 3-4 minutes to fill the filter and circulate the oil, no leaks, all good. Then I checked the oil expecting to add the .2 quart and found the oil level two notches over the fill line. ...?

Are the specs wrong? Did I unknowingly leave oil in the crank somehow? ( The oil looked green by the way making me think I did not leave old oil in the system). The manual says a slight down grade from left to right helps drain the crankcase. Comments/thoughts.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Sometimes the oil spec is for a dry engine. After oil is added the first time it doesn't all drain out. My nephews stump grinder has a Briggs Vanguard 35 hp engine. The books calls for 78-80 ounces of oil. It has taken 64 ounces to refill after oil change since the day it was new, except for the last time and out of the blue it took the full 78-80 ounces to refill to the full line

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Depends of the oil filter size for one thing plus the spec is for a completely dry engine. There places that don't drain on oil changes. Also the oil is check without screwing in the dipstick; just sitting on top of the threads.

Roll

Threads
Well... being the kind of magical guy I am I made the extra oil disappear. And.. I know who I am (have had 74 years to figure that out), so I have no trouble saying... I made a mistake. (wife says I never, ever, admit to mistakes but I do).

I knew to check the oil without screwing the stick on, I knew that. But, when actually checking the oil I forget that kind of nonsensical mechanical maintenance minutia. The extra two notches are gone, The oil is exactly to the full line now, it did not need the extra (point)-2 quart. Thank you Ilengine and Star Tech for 1) addressing the issue of a dry crankcase vs used regarding refill and 2) remembering to NOT SCREW IN the dip stick when checking oil level respectively.

Lawn Addict
Threads
My 651V calls for same amount, but I only get in 2 quarts & it's fine..(stock size 49065-0721 filter),..
I run the left rear wheel up on a 2x8, drain is on opposite side, so the oil will gravitate over to the drain.
Once drained get off my block, plug it, fill it, run it 3 minutes, stop, wait & check oil level. (y)

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Roll :
I knew to check the oil without screwing the stick on, I knew that. But, when actually checking the oil I forget that kind of nonsensical mechanical maintenance minutia.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alter the dip stick so it's screw in since those factory Dip Sticks don't know how .

Last edited:

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Non screw in dipstick on the norm across most brands. Honda, Kohler, Kawasaki, most of the foreign stuff sit the stick on top of the thread. Briggs is the only one I can think of that is screw in to check.