Oil / Air Blowing Above Case Rocker

KennyD2

Threads
In 2006, I purchased a new Ferris IS1500Z with the Kawasaki FH641V engine. Today I noticed a very small amount of oil dripping from the left side frame area where the skid plate mounts. I couldn't determine where it was leaking, but noticed a lot of dirty oil residue all around that area on both sides. I checked the oil and it was just a little low. After running it a few minutes while blowing all the grass and crud off, I noticed it was a bit oily around the right side head. While still running, I put my hand to the top of the case rocker (I guess that's the name for the valve cover?) and felt air blowing out, with a small build-up of oil. It didn't appear to be exhaust because it wasn't very hot. The engine has 61 hours since I had the pan gasket changed. Total hours are approximately 850. While I've replaced a wheel motor and hoses and a few other things myself, I'm not an engine guy. Could this be just a blown head gasket or maybe worse?

While I've been a member for quite a while, I usually just lurk! Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
IMG_20230822_160725346_HDR.jpg

Bertrrr

Threads
Could you have been feeling the fan around the flywheel ?
I doubt it's your head gasket - a leaking head gasket probably would not show up as an oil leak ,
Clean it good and get your oil level right and run it again to verify where the leak is , take another few pics so we can get a better idea on what you have

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I have had bad valve cover gaskets. Simple check, just remove the cover and look to see if you can find any leaks.

KennyD2

Threads
Thanks Bertrrr and Rivets for the quick replies! Will try to clean and inspect. I did notice the leak may be on the left side and above the carb. I will take more pics. A couple of things have come up since I posted this, and I might not be able to work on this right away. I'll work on it as I can, and post what I find out. Thanks!

KennyD2

Threads
I finally was able to direct my attention to my oil leak problem. We had our daughter's big wedding day, and the "getting over it" to deal with!

Yes, the air coming through near the upper rocker covers was from the fan at the flywheel (I said earlier I wasn't an engine guy). I took the entire top off down to the cylinders and found a giant dirty oily mess! The breather cover looked like it was a little sunk-in, and upon removal I found a portion of the gasket looked bad. I went ahead and replaced both rocker gaskets and found the inside extremely clean on both, as if the engine was brand new. I've ordered both styles of breather gaskets and covers, upper crank seal and governor shaft seal hoping to solve the issue. In my first post I mistakenly said I had my pan gasket replaced recently, but meant the lower crank seal. That area is not leaking.

Now, I guess my question is regarding the breather gasket and cover - I understand that Kawasaki had made an improved replacement kit that include both the gasket, cover and new bolts. Not totally sure about it working on my engine, I ordered the old style pieces also. I was unable to locate a replacement foam element that goes with the original style parts. However if you click on the #49109 number for the foam element on the order site, it takes you to #49109-7003 which is the new combo kit. I have had no static leaks since I have cleaned it.

My engine info on the block is FH641V49667, DS25. Anyone know if the upgraded breather gasket and cover will fit?

Thanks

KennyD2

Threads
I finally was able to direct my attention to my oil leak problem. We had our daughter's big wedding day, and the "getting over it" to deal with!

Yes, the air coming through near the upper rocker covers was from the fan at the flywheel (I said earlier I wasn't an engine guy). I took the entire top off down to the cylinders and found a giant dirty oily mess! The breather cover looked like it was a little sunk-in, and upon removal I found a portion of the gasket looked bad. I went ahead and replaced both rocker gaskets and found the inside extremely clean on both, as if the engine was brand new. I've ordered both styles of breather gaskets and covers, upper crank seal and governor shaft seal hoping to solve the issue. In my first post I mistakenly said I had my pan gasket replaced recently, but meant the lower crank seal. That area is not leaking.

Now, I guess my question is regarding the breather gasket and cover - I understand that Kawasaki had made an improved replacement kit that include both the gasket, cover and new bolts. Not totally sure about it working on my engine, I ordered the old style pieces also. I was unable to locate a replacement foam element that goes with the original style parts. However if you click on the #49109 number for the foam element on the order site, it takes you to #49109-7003 which is the new combo kit. I have had no static leaks since I have cleaned it.

My engine info on the block is FH641V49667, DS25. Anyone know if the upgraded breather gasket and cover will fit?

Thanks
Been awhile - I forgot to get back to this thread.
In case anybody has the same question in the future about the #49109-7003 breather gasket kit, Yes - It does work! Looks like my oil leaking issues were resolved.