Engine oh KRAP, my new/old F935 shot the Kraps on me today

billymagg

Threads
Was out at the farm, doing some very heavy mowing and got the F935 wedged in a small ditch, so I left it running and went to retrieve the little Ford 3000 to pull it out. I was able to pull it out, without to much effort and went back to mowing fence lines, again fairly heavy mowing but about 90% of METO, daughter number 7 had brought out the old farm truck and my airtank====I had two flats====, should have left the mower where it was????? but I digress, she had never been on the 935 and I thought she might as well learn now, I was doing some blade work on a water line with the little Ford and noticed she was off the 935, but looking back at it. She stated that it had started to vibrate badly, (OH YEAH, It WAS Vibrating), so when I started it, well you get my drift, bummed because it only has about 1400 hrs on it???

My best guess is Oiling issues while it was over on its side in the ditch, no alarm, not overheat, fresh oil and filter, I'm thinking I spun a rod or crank bearing ????? Thoughts, well no need to tell me I was stupid to leave it run, but other than that?? Daughter did follow instructions to "shut it down", if it does something you don't like?????

Nwatson99

Threads
That sucks sorry to hear about that.

billymagg

Threads
That sucks sorry to hear about that.

Yeah, you're telling me, and it ran so good, and it was such a good deal??? but I have ran it myself for two years, and it was the much better mower of the two at the campground, the only thing I can figure is it may not have been oiling well while it was on its side in the ditch..... it was leaned over at about a 20 degree angle, and I ran it for about an hour afterward, but at least John Deere still has parts???? not to cheap though, LOL.

billymagg

Threads
Yeah, you're telling me, and it ran so good, and it was such a good deal??? but I have ran it myself for two years, and it was the much better mower of the two at the campground, the only thing I can figure is it may not have been oiling well while it was on its side in the ditch..... it was leaned over at about a 20 degree angle, and I ran it for about an hour afterward, but at least John Deere still has parts???? not to cheap though, LOL.

Ok, I'm going to drain some oil, check for bearing material, etc,,, then I may try to remove the oil pan???? or pull the motor, does anyone have any further suggestions/advice/caveats, etc???? . thanks billy

Huh??? NO Metal flakes in the quart or so I drained out, NADA, NONE, but it still has a knock of some type, maybe on top end, trying to get my mech to come have a look???

Last edited:

JoeM(GA)

Threads
  • / oh KRAP, my new/old F935 shot the Kraps on me today
Are you sure the shaking is the engine running poorly? lots of shaft work on the 935 between the engine and the hydro transmission, same with the PTO, Motor mounts were also bad to fail on these, putting it in the ditch could have tweaked something and that instead of the engine is making it shake. I have the Tech and parts manuals in PDF if you'd like them, shoot me your email if so. Don't give up without lots of looking, too nice of a mower to junk!

Joe

billymagg

Threads
Are you sure the shaking is the engine running poorly? lots of shaft work on the 935 between the engine and the hydro transmission, same with the PTO, Motor mounts were also bad to fail on these, putting it in the ditch could have tweaked something and that instead of the engine is making it shake. I have the Tech and parts manuals in PDF if you'd like them, shoot me your email if so. Don't give up without lots of looking, too nice of a mower to junk!

Joe

Well Joe, its fine, my daughter apparently had idled it down, and put a load on it, hence the shaky three cylinder, and I didn't want to rev it and break something, but when I went to load it, and revved it up into a normal operating range, it cleared right out, so its all happy again! thanks all for all the good advice, and yes it is too nice a mower, I'm just gonna have to keep it revved up, and quit trying to baby it????

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
METO power, must be an old round engine guy!!!!
Mad Mackie in CT, an old round engine guy~~~!!!:thumbsup::laughing::biggrin::smile:

billymagg

Threads
METO power, must be an old round engine guy!!!!
Mad Mackie in CT, an old round engine guy~~~!!!:thumbsup::laughing::biggrin::smile:

Well I pretend I was, actually, I am the Air Force Brat on the Sino Defense Forum, we flew to Okinawa on a DC-6, and flew home on a DC-7, my Dad was an IP in the C-130. My first actual airplane flight was in a Cessna 195 with a shaky Jake, I think a 275hp, with a throw over yoke, that belonged to one of my Dads transition students in the C-130. My Dad was in the right seat, and Ron offered me the left front, I will never forget that day, or the sound and look of that gorgeous airplane, yes I still love round aircraft engines, and Daryl Greenameyer was one of my early heroes in the old Conquest 1, a clipped wing Bearcat...lol

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Well I pretend I was, actually, I am the Air Force Brat on the Sino Defense Forum, we flew to Okinawa on a DC-6, and flew home on a DC-7, my Dad was an IP in the C-130. My first actual airplane flight was in a Cessna 195 with a shaky Jake, I think a 275hp, with a throw over yoke, that belonged to one of my Dads transition students in the C-130. My Dad was in the right seat, and Ron offered me the left front, I will never forget that day, or the sound and look of that gorgeous airplane, yes I still love round aircraft engines, and Daryl Greenameyer was one of my early heroes in the old Conquest 1, a clipped wing Bearcat...lol

Hi billymagg,
Just got home from Ohio/Pennsylvania railfan trip and one of the guys on the trip is a retired Air National Guard C-130 IP.I recall having a ride in either a Cessna 190 or 195 when I was a youngster. I was also a Flight Engineer/Mech in the Army National Guard and we had de Havilland DHC-4 Caribous, formerly an Army CV-2 and when the USAF took them over in 1967 they were re designated as C-7A. I'm a retired A&P Mech and never did like working on the kerosene burners. My old aircraft is 62-4149 and it is still flying with the Cavanaugh Flight Museum in Addison, TX.
Mad Mackie in CT:laughing::biggrin::smile:

billymagg

Threads
Hi billymagg,
Just got home from Ohio/Pennsylvania railfan trip and one of the guys on the trip is a retired Air National Guard C-130 IP.I recall having a ride in either a Cessna 190 or 195 when I was a youngster. I was also a Flight Engineer/Mech in the Army National Guard and we had de Havilland DHC-4 Caribous, formerly an Army CV-2 and when the USAF took them over in 1967 they were re designated as C-7A. I'm a retired A&P Mech and never did like working on the kerosene burners. My old aircraft is 62-4149 and it is still flying with the Cavanaugh Flight Museum in Addison, TX.
Mad Mackie in CT:laughing::biggrin::smile:

Yes, I loved the Boo Boos, they had them at Sewart and I remember them practicing touch and goes when my Dads squadron had a picnic, probably right before he went to Vietnam in the summer of 1967, he was in the US embassy in Saigon during TET. I had a few hours (10-12) in the right seat of an Mu-2, I believe it was the Marquise, when I worked in the evenings at Klems Aero Repair. I would give my buddy a cart start every other evening, and flew with him several nights, but he was killed about two weeks after my last ride in 271MA, at Chicago Midway. I mostly took airplanes apart and put them back together under my AIs supervision, but loved working on/playing with airplanes. LOL Glad to hear your old bird is still flying, a friend has asked me to help get our old 172 airworthy again, so I hope to get some more stick time soon. LOL