not using mid grade or premium any more

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
Started using some premium in my small equipment went to maintenance and pulled the spark plugs they were running way to hot. I mix my fuel correctly have never had this problem before so I will go back to regular and I have replaced the plugs fyi

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Started using some premium in my small equipment went to maintenance and pulled the spark plugs they were running way to hot. I mix my fuel correctly have never had this problem before so I will go back to regular and I have replaced the plugs fyi

How do you know your spark plug running to hot? What color is the plug?

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Why would it run hotter with premium? It burns a little slower so maybe it changes the timing or does it just burn hotter?

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
Bright white at the tip I have old haynes manuals for my cars with the little spoark plug wear guide in them and accoring to that they run way to hot. Higher octane burns hotter thats all i know maybe i should add more oil to the mix? I use 3oz to one gallon

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Bright white at the tip I have old haynes manuals for my cars with the little spoark plug wear guide in them and accoring to that they run way to hot. Higher octane burns hotter thats all i know maybe i should add more oil to the mix? I use 3oz to one gallon

If your mixture is correct You can try running a lower octane but I don't think it will help, it sounds to me like you may need to adjust the carb, sounds like your running to lean. When a plug turns light brown to white it generally means your mixture needs changing.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If you are running 3oz that is roughly 43/1 ratio. A white plug tip indicates your engine is running lean which may or maynot indicate a hotter running engine. The oil in your mixture is not only a lubricant, but also a cooling agent. The tip indicator chart you are using is for water cooled engines, which does make a difference. Air cooled engines run hotter than normal water cooled engines. White tipped plugs really don't bother me, unless I see an indication of tip wear.

Mini Motors

Threads
First, a spark plug color chart is the same for cars, mowers, motorcycles, 2 stroke or 4. It makes no difference. When an engine is designed, the proper heat range plug is chosen, and rich is rich, lean is lean, and the color of the plug reads the same for all types of motors.

Second, I've never seen a small engine maker ever suggest anything but regular gas. Timing on these engines is fixed at a certain point to coincide with the rate of how fast the gas burns, in this case, 87 octane. On an engine where you can manually change the timing, you can play with the octane of gas you use by changing the timing, but you can't do this with these engines. What you can do is use a better brand of gas, but stick with the suggested octane.

And now my suggestion. Use Sea Foam in all your lawn equipment, if not every engine you own. The reason? Ethanol. In some situations, ethanol can clean an engine, actually dissolve carbon. But in the combustion process, ethanol actually promotes carbon build up. A product like Sea Foam can help carbon from forming in the first place, and in time can rid your combustion chamber of carbon all together. The hotter an engine runs, the more carbon build up can occur. Your car runs fairly hot. An air cooled engine(mower) hotter, and your trimmer(2 stroke) even hotter.

And for a proper mix, find a product that does the math for you. You can usually can find one at a motorcycle shop that caters to dirt bikes(that means NOT a Harley shop). A lot of dirt bikes are 2 stroke, and many use different mix ratios. They are easy to use. Knowing the size of the gas can, you pour enough oil to the line next to ratio you need(50:1, 32:1), and pour it in the can. NO MATH! The one I use is called a Ratio Rite Cup.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
All of my two stroke equipment and my Stihl Fourmix machines operators manuals recommend a minimum of 89 octane and a maximum of 10% ethanol. I use Sea Foam and Star Brite fuel additives frequently in all my machines 2 and 4 stroke. Lower octane burns earlier and hotter, higher octane burns later. Ethanol burns at a different temp than the gasoline that it is blended with. Ethanol will separate from the gasoline fairly soon and settles to the bottom of the fuel storage or tank. This will cause the engine to run on ethanol and this is not good. This condition will reduce the power output of the engine and change the color of the spark plugs in addition to increasing the combustion chamber temperatures.

Last edited:

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
All of my two stroke equipment and my Stihl Fourmix machines operators manuals recommend a minimum of 89 octane and a maximum of 10% ethanol. I use Sea Foam and Star Brite fuel additives frequently in all my machines 2 and 4 stroke. Lower octane burns earlier and hotter, higher octane burns later. Ethanol burns at a different temp than the gasoline that it is blended with. Ethanol will separate from the gasoline fairly soon and settles to the bottom of the fuel storage or tank. This will cause the engine to run on ethanol and this is not good. This condition will reduce the power output of the engine and change the color of the spark plugs in addition to increasing the combustion chamber temperatures.

If that were true than all the gas stations would have pure ethanol on the bottom of the tanks?

possum

Threads
The stuff in the bottom of gas station fuel tanks has always been scary. I have no idea how much of it is ethanol. If the upper grades are indeed the cause of your plugs reading hot then you will soon know and then do please let us all know. Or at least me.