No speed in forward Transmission issue

oldackonoak

Threads
I have a Husqvarna YTH2448 I took the transmission out this spring and welded the broken mounts. I put it back together and it ran great. I punctured an axle seal I replaced that added missing oil and had very low speed in forward. Reverse is great. I thought I had over filled it. I took it out again this morning took some oil out and bled it for any trapped air. Put back together and I still have the same problem. Belt is new pulley are good. I goes in reverse very well and when I go forward it barely moves. I have tried the bleed method with the tractor running and still I have nothing in forward. Any advice would greatly be appreciated I have been working on this tractor since spring on and off.
I don't want to completely drain the oil it isn't cheap. Oh it is a Tuff Torq transmission k46 same as Craftsman and other AYP tractors.
Thank you in advance for any help I will try anything at this point.

Last edited:

DHook

Threads
There's quite a few videos on Youtube that show how the transmission works and how to diagnose the problems. Here's the one I used to rebuild my K46. I've never done one before but after watching several different videos I decided to do it (same as yours). I only paid $25 for the mower so there wasn't much to lose and a lot of money to save. There's other options for oil rather than using the TorqTuff brand that's much less expensive. There's a lot of videos also on Youtube that will show exactly how the transaxle works and maybe you can spot the problem.

This is a good video once you get past the theatrics:

Here's the Ebay seller that I sent the parts to to do a refurb on the parts. If yours' aren't able to be rebuilt, he'll supply the parts you need to get it working again. I think I paid $177 for all the parts I needed because mine were gouged and scored and had several broken springs.

Here's the fluid I used: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08XN5GJ3K?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details This came highly recommended by a guy that does this for a living.

Cleanliness is extremely important when working on these so find a good place to do it. Take pictures, starting with how all the linkages connect and what the transaxle looks like after taking it out of the mower. Power wash the whole thing if you can. The better you clean the exterior, less chance of dumping debris into the case. Then take your time disassembling and cleaning, reassembling.

Here's the follow up thread after I got it working again. It's been working great ever since. Will probably do the same to my YTH 42" also next spring. https://www.lawnmowerforum.com/threads/update-on-25-yth22v46-riding-mower-project.73590/

Let me know if you have questions and I'll try to help.

DHook

Threads
Check out this thread from another forum:

Be happy to answer any questions you might have. Lots of good videos on YouTube to help with diagnosing and rebuilding.

oldackonoak

Threads
There's quite a few videos on Youtube that show how the transmission works and how to diagnose the problems. Here's the one I used to rebuild my K46. I've never done one before but after watching several different videos I decided to do it (same as yours). I only paid $25 for the mower so there wasn't much to lose and a lot of money to save. There's other options for oil rather than using the TorqTuff brand that's much less expensive. There's a lot of videos also on Youtube that will show exactly how the transaxle works and maybe you can spot the problem.

This is a good video once you get past the theatrics:

Here's the Ebay seller that I sent the parts to to do a refurb on the parts. If yours' aren't able to be rebuilt, he'll supply the parts you need to get it working again. I think I paid $177 for all the parts I needed because mine were gouged and scored and had several broken springs.

Here's the fluid I used: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08XN5GJ3K?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details This came highly recommended by a guy that does this for a living.

Cleanliness is extremely important when working on these so find a good place to do it. Take pictures, starting with how all the linkages connect and what the transaxle looks like after taking it out of the mower. Power wash the whole thing if you can. The better you clean the exterior, less chance of dumping debris into the case. Then take your time disassembling and cleaning, reassembling.

Here's the follow up thread after I got it working again. It's been working great ever since. Will probably do the same to my YTH 42" also next spring. https://www.lawnmowerforum.com/threads/update-on-25-yth22v46-riding-mower-project.73590/

Let me know if you have questions and I'll try to help.
Thank you I hope I don't have to go to that extreme but I always want to learn new things!!!

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Did you verify the the belt is not bottoming out in the v-idler pulley? IE bottom of pulley v not shiny.

DHook

Threads
Thank you I hope I don't have to go to that extreme but I always want to learn new things!!!
It was certainly a learning experience for me.

There's less expensive fluid you can use instead of the Tuff Torq branded stuff. I used some Stens from Amazon after it was recommended by a guy who does rebuilds for a living.
Has less detergents than using engine oil, so less foaming.

In the videos it shows which part controls the forward/reverse motion. Also, be sure you have the external linkage connected properly. I would put it up on jack stands and check the linkage operation manually. Also look for debris that might be limiting the travel of the linkage pieces. This will also give you a chance to run it and observe the belt, as mentioned above.

The fact it runs fine in reverse would indicate no problems with the pump/motor assembly. I would start with belt and linkage inspection.

Last edited:

oldackonoak

Threads
It was certainly a learning experience for me.

There's less expensive fluid you can use instead of the Tuff Torq branded stuff. I used some Stens from Amazon after it was recommended by a guy who does rebuilds for a living.
Has less detergents than using engine oil, so less foaming.

In the videos it shows which part controls the forward/reverse motion. Also, be sure you have the external linkage connected properly. I would put it up on jack stands and check the linkage operation manually. Also look for debris that might be limiting the travel of the linkage pieces. This will also give you a chance to run it and observe the belt, as mentioned above.

The fact it runs fine in reverse would indicate no problems with the pump/motor assembly. I would start with belt and linkage inspection.
I was thinking about that the pulleys are original but appear to be ok but may be worn. I am assuming that you are referiing to the black pulleys under the center of the machine.

DHook

Threads
Here's another video to check out:

Debris under the mower can limit travel of belt idler pulleys and effect the pedal travel, limiting movement in forward motion.

oldackonoak

Threads
Did you verify the the belt is not bottoming out in the v-idler pulley? IE bottom of pulley v not shiny.
I forgot to check that haven't gotten back to that mower I will check it. I would imagine you can get those pulleys from Amazon or Flea bay. That could be the problem I wasn't thinking that the inside grove being the bottom of the pulley. Thanks for the tip. I appreciate it.