No speed control HRT2162TDA Harmony II - get me started?

a_gunslinger

Threads
  • / No speed control HRT2162TDA Harmony II - get me started?
Bought used, worked great for a while now speed control not working.

HRT2162TDA
Serial MZCG-6974996

Clues:
  1. Pulling clutch lets it pull backwards
  2. I took the crap plastic change control apart at it seems like the plastic coil is always out of the groove its supposed to be in
  3. Putting it back in allowed it to work, but no 2nd or 3rd speed then 1st fades out also, but then it stopped
  4. PTook it apart and plastic tension spring out of the groove again

Its the inside of this speed change knob item #15: Honda Power Equipment - Parts Look Up - Official Site

Cant quite see the crap plastic inside but there is a plastic tension spring that sticks in a groove that seems, well, useless:

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/i/400407...-1/s-l1000.jpg

Not sure if the issue is on the change control isde or under engine. But hoping to get the most likely cause from experts before guessing.

From underneath it looks good, spring in place, but cant see entire tranny and control arm. And for the life of me I cant see how the bottom deck components come part to even get to where the speed control cable attaches.

Any insights? Refuse to let it die ;^)

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Last edited:

a_gunslinger

Threads
Mark, does that mean you think the tyranny ia toast? Alot of these no speed control issues seem to be something other than the obvious. Was looking for some diagnostic procedures before buying parts.

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
From underneath it looks good, spring in place, but cant see entire tranny and control arm. And for the life of me I cant see how the bottom deck components come part to even get to where the speed control cable attaches.

Any insights? Refuse to let it die ;^)

Drop me a PM with your email, and I can send you some service materials that will help.

a_gunslinger

Threads
Checked everything out and replaced the speed control cable. No luck. Wheels spin (kind of) if you lift back wheels off the ground. Set it back down they stop. Off the ground 1st spins slowly, 2nd and 3rd kind of spin/stop/spin/stop.

Sound like tanny?

Mower runs great except for that. Trying to decide is worth sinking $110 into a tranny when a new mower is $500.

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Checked everything out and replaced the speed control cable. No luck. Wheels spin (kind of) if you lift back wheels off the ground. Set it back down they stop. Off the ground 1st spins slowly, 2nd and 3rd kind of spin/stop/spin/stop.

Sound like tanny?

Mower runs great except for that. Trying to decide is worth sinking $110 into a tranny when a new mower is $500.

Google the trans. part number...may find a dealer selling it for less than $110: 20001-VG4-H02

Ensure the adjusters, axles, rear wheels, etc. are all spotless-clean, no dirt/clippings, are not bent, deformed, damaged, or excessively worn. Gently lubricate with general-purpose grease. If all that works, and the arm is moving on the trans. as described in the shop manual, by process of elimination there's likely an internal fault/failure inside the trans.

a_gunslinger

Threads
Google the trans. part number...may find a dealer selling it for less than $110: 20001-VG4-H02

Ensure the adjusters, axles, rear wheels, etc. are all spotless-clean, no dirt/clippings, are not bent, deformed, damaged, or excessively worn. Gently lubricate with general-purpose grease. If all that works, and the arm is moving on the trans. as described in the shop manual, by process of elimination there's likely an internal fault/failure inside the trans.

Thanks again Robert. I cleaned up everything and all seems well, and now cleaner. Im not sure about the statement "and the arm is moving on the trans. as described in the shop manual" but I followed those steps in the PDF I was provided.

The only thing I may have done wrong is when I had the tranny out I was pushing the gear gear lever back and forth to verify it was moving thru all three gears. It moved freely clicking thru each. But when I put it back I had no idea what gear it was in, or even if it should be in a specific gear/position when reinstalled. Dont think it made a difference when reinstalled as it seemed to move just fine using the lever.

Honda should offer a 50% discount on these trannies..... ;^)