No spark!

Threads
Oh yes I remember points !!!!! In fact on outboard engines I would rather have points than a Power Pack system......

Way cheaper and easier to work on if stuck out in the Gulf of Mexico 40 miles offshore.....

We always had a tool box on our boat......... We worked on them and like the Boy Scouts we were always prepared ........

Plus Tard Mon Ami ~!~!

Joeygentry

Forum Newbie
Threads
There are no figures for primary resistance due to the Hall Effect Timing Chip Embedded in the coil.
As for secondary resistance Stihl do not publish it.
The magnetos are either a pass or fail test.
The actual resistance is determined by the number of turns of wire and will be different for each & every coil
Rule of thumb is 1 to 20 Ohms.
Accuracy of most multimeters that cost less than $ 200 is +/- 10 ohms.

Multimeters work by sending a voltage down the wires and measuring what comes back compared to what went in so it is a Voltage reading.
In fact just about every function is a modified voltage reading.
The signal voltage sent down the primary wire on cheaper meter is enough to fry many of the chips just the same as hooking up a 12 V battery.

Remember point ?
Well the chip replaces the points and just like points, has a finite life and is easily damaged, in fact they are lot easier to damage than points.
thanks for the info. What do you suggest I do and should I not use a multimeter on a coil.

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Can you explain to me how I do this?

I have made 100's of test with a multimeter this way and I have never damage one yet, and I still get called out to test them for a friend who runs a repair shop,

you have ask to explain how to do it.....its in the line I posted..... set the multimeter for continuity....one lead on where the kill wire connects to, and the other on the ground.....see if you continuity.

Joeygentry

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have made 100's of test with a multimeter this way and I have never damage one yet, and I still get called out to test them for a friend who runs a repair shop,

you have ask to explain how to do it.....its in the line I posted..... set the multimeter for continuity....one lead on where the kill wire connects to, and the other on the ground.....see if you continuity.

Should I have continuity or not and if I measure resistance how much for both primary and secondary should I be seeing

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
You are not measure resistance...! and no you should not have continuity.