No Spark even with new magnetron - HELP!

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
So the first/big question is......

Do you know how to correctly check for spark???

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Never heard of using a voltmeter to check an ignition coil output!! Gap type or neon light test lead is all I know!! On a running engine I can check for average spark output voltage from the coil to the sparkplug with a non contact tach/spark output tester.
The vast majority of later model small engines have an ignition coil that has other electronic components internal to it. This is why they are best tested when installed on an engine.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Never heard of using a voltmeter to check an ignition coil output!! Gap type or neon light test lead is all I know!! On a running engine I can check for average spark output voltage from the coil to the sparkplug with a non contact tach/spark output tester.
The vast majority of later model small engines have an ignition coil that has other electronic components internal to it. This is why they are best tested when installed on an engine.

So what are you trying to say????

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Yeah that is the most likely scene....

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
This thread reminded me that one of my adjustable spark checkers is not working, so I just went out to my truck and brought in my test equipment box and got out both of these testers and set them on my workbench to remind me to repair them. The ground wire where it attaches to the housing is a weak point and the wire breaks rendering the tester useless.
If you look thru the service manuals from various small engine manufacturers you will see coil testers. They are fairly expensive and not universal to a particular engine manufacturers entire line of ignition coils, in addition to the fact that they are sensitive to damage from dropping and can get lost easily, thus the reason why many servicing dealers don't have them and prefer to pull a new ignition coil out of stock and put it directly on the engine in question. However just because a part is new doesn't mean that it works, so get another one from the parts room!!! On a twin cylinder engine I generally replace both coils even if only one is confirmed bad and I always check the coil harness to make sure the diodes are not shorted or open electrically and most time replace it along with the coils. Although Briggs claims that rust on the magnet surfaces has no bearing on spark, I have proven that rust can be a factor as it affects the gap of the coil to the flywheel when using a nonmagnetic material to make the gap adjustment. I use brass or plastic shim material to correctly set this gap and rust on the flywheel magnets can affect this adjustment.
I also checked the battery in my capacitance tester while I was in this toolbox and it is almost out of date, however not leaking!!
Fish, do you have a Briggs coil tester?????
I like Husqvarna saws, just traded my 390 XP for a new T 540 XP, very clean 390 XP, extra chains and blades. The 390 was too much for this old phart, but nice saw. Still have two 455s.
Just some thoughts from
Mad Mackie retired mech!!! :laughing::biggrin::smile:

Last edited:

dennis morris

Threads
Had the same problem with a 6.75hp briggs.Went through the same thing u did with 3 different coils, sanding and cleaning flywheel and still no spark. I ended up changing the flywheel even though it seemed to have a strong magnet. I have spark now but i still don't understand what made the difference. Im lucky, i work on small engines all the time so i have extra coils, flywheels and such so i can experiment with it.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Interested parties should go to Briggs Magnetron web page for a good cutaway and dynamic video of the magnetron coil in theory and action. The transistors used inside are probably asian (not nec bad) and probably not best commercial grade. This means they have not been screened at temperature to weed out the "infant mortality." So what? So you the consumer will weed them out. Lucky owners will sail through. It is doubtful most dealers know how iffy "new" product is and should all have testers IMO to support customers. I thnk I saw a figure on commercial transistors that they will live up to 259F. So I guess that temp or below is maintained where they sit near the flywheel and fan.
Just babbling some may find interesting and others irrelevant, as usual.:laughing:

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Yeah, it is pretty simple to check for spark, just plug the loose sparkplug in and lay it against the block, and pull the rope, or turn the key.... Will the kill wire disconnected of course. If you have no spark, you either have a bad plug a bad coil, or a bad flywheel. And in all of my years, I have never came across a flywheel with bad magnets....... It could happen, I guess....

cuengineer

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi All,
First of all, thanks to all who made suggestions. I finally was able to get back to this engine to try it out and yes, I do know how to check for spark since I have been doing that for over 50 years at the spark plug. Nowadays, I use one of the spark plug testers like you can get at HF for about $5 which makes it easy to put between the plug wire and the plug. You don't have to hold the spark plug threads tight against a ground, turn engine and look for the spark at the same time.

Anyway, I was reading about the primary and secondary circuits on magnetos which got me to thinking that there must be a sequence to which side of the magnetron senses the magnet first. Bottom line was I took it off and flipped it upside down, turned the starter and had spark! I then tried to start it, and it cranked right up. I shorted out the kill wire with a screwdriver and then attached it. Working fine now. I looked back at the instructions that came with the new B&S magnetron and it never said which side was the top. There is a little sketch, but it doesn't say whether it is top or bottom view. BTW, I had made sure I put the replacement magnetron on with the spark plug wire and kill wire in the same positions as the old one. In fact, I looked back at the old one again, and you could tell by the crud around the screws which way it had been on. However, the original magnetron has been replaced by another part number so I suspect the wiring is different with the new part. That's the only thing I can think of because the engine had run fine for years. I had never taken the cover off before all of this and had never touched the magnetron before.

So after reading all of the stuff on-line about how if the engine turns fast enough, magnet is good, gap is right, kill wire is not connected, you should have spark from the magnetron. The missing info is that the magnetron has to be right side up! So if you put a new one on and don't get spark with everything else okay, you might want to flip it over since it will mount either way, or at least mine will.

Thanks again for everyone's suggestions.