No spark, 1975 Briggs 2 hp

arch252

Threads
I was given a John Deere walk behind edger, the engine code on the flathead 2hp Briggs dates it to 1975. The engine is a 60102-0334-01 model horizontal shaft. I did a complete breakdown on the engine. The piston, cylinder and rings looked great. Completely cleaned the carb and tank. The tank was in teriffic shape inside. I pulled the valves and cleaned them and I had to grind the intake a little to set the proper gap. I cleaned the flywheel and magneto and put in a new key. I took the cover off to check the points and condensor, a little grime inside I lightly cleaned that out and left it alone. New gaskets in the carb, crankcase and head.

Can't get it to start. I pulled the plug and could smell gas so it appeared it was getting fuel just fine. The spark was very weak. I had replaced teh CJ8 plug wtih an E3 and it was gapped to .030. I checked the points and condenser again and thought I might have pinched off the grounding wire, fixed that up and checked it again. I saw a spark on the first couple of pulls then nothing. So I checked the point gap and set it to 0.20. Again, a spark the first time then nothing. I pulled the condensor and checked it on a voltmeter. The condenser was holding a charge. I lightly sanded the points, cleaned it all out, set the gap again and tried it, no spark at all. Disconnecting the ground wire does nothing.

Is there a way to check the magneto? That's the only other thing I haven't checked. Any ideas?

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Just buy a new electronic coil and do away with the points, and throw that e3 plug as far away from you as you can!!!!!!!

arch252

Threads
Oh Fish, I have so much to learn from you. Would it be too much to ask you to adopt me? So the E3 plug is a waste of money? And it's just as easy as getting an electronic coil and it's good to go? Are the coils pretty much the same or do I need to try to find one for a specific engine, like a 3.5 hp or somethine like that. I had no idea you could just swap those out. Keep bringing it master! I love learning.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Yeah, briggs #398593, 496914, and a few more superceding numbers will bolt right on, just cut the wire to the points going under
the flywheel, no need to try to remove the flywheel. Then just hook up the kill switch, if you have one.

Actually I love the e-3 plug.... I bought a riding mower at a garage sale for $80 once that had "engine trouble". The porcelain around the electrode was loose and flopping around.

arch252

Threads
LOL, that's great! Thanks for your help Fish, again.

arch252

Threads
Fish, this won't affect the type of spark plug will it?

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Not sure what you mean, but it will be fine. Originally Briggs recommended the Champion CJ8, but then switched all of the l-heads over to the j-19lm, a little hotter plug.