No Spark 14hp fc420v-as11

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I could not test it hot. I figure if it ohms out properly cold it should give me a decent spark. Of course, since I can't get it to run, there is no way to test it hot.

That is the reason you should have your coil tested at a shop that has the equipment to heat a coil to test it. Also you should always test for spark when the spark plug is under compression. Just because a spark plug sparks on the side of the block doesn't mean it will spark under compression.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
When something comes into my shop that doesn't start I do two very simple things to test for spark. It take two different very cheap testers. The first one is a test with the spark in the engine. The tester is a jumper with a light in it that go's from the secondary coil wire to the spark plug, if this lights when you turn the engine over you know the plug is good. The next test I do is disconnect the plug wire from the plug. This tester is to see how far will the spark jump which should be a 3/4 in. If your engine passes these test you haven't got a electrical problem.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
When something comes into my shop that doesn't start I do two very simple things to test for spark. It take two different very cheap testers. The first one is a test with the spark in the engine. The tester is a jumper with a light in it that go's from the secondary coil wire to the spark plug, if this lights when you turn the engine over you know the plug is good. The next test I do is disconnect the plug wire from the plug. This tester is to see how far will the spark jump which should be a 3/4 in. If your engine passes these test you haven't got a electrical problem.

Double ditto. although I like to pop in a known good plug because the in line testers will also fire if the spark is tracking down the inside of plug and not jumping the gap

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Double ditto. although I like to pop in a known good plug because the in line testers will also fire if the spark is tracking down the inside of plug and not jumping the gap

Yes a new spark plug is very cheap insurance I will change it along with a fuel filter on most non start jobs.