No Spark 14hp fc420v-as11

MowDanMan

Threads
Please help me find parts for my AS11!! I recently purchased a GX1320 John Deere 48" walk behind with a 14 HP FC420V-AS11 engine. I got a great deal on it because it has an intermittent spark. I had it running at the sellers house for about 2 minutes, but can't get it going since. The spark only happens once in a while and is very faint. I bought a shop manual and checked every wire on it...all good. I have changed the ignitor/module...no good. I am trying to find a coil without paying John Deere prices.

MowDanMan

Threads
Actually I own a Tech manual and I have tested it and it is barely out of specs. I am not convinced it is shot but where can I BUY one for this illusive engine??? The FC420V-AS11 is not in any parts look up on any site.

JD is best

Threads
Same engine on my mower, I fixed a no spark problem with a $35 new coil from eBay.

MowDanMan

Threads
Perhaps I am to tight to fix this motor. I bought a new Ignitor/module from John Deere (for $85) brought it home and it ohmed out exactly like my old one. I took it back...bought a new "John Deere" coil (for $95) it ohmed out exactly like my old coil. I will be returning it as well. I pulled the flywheel just to clean and physically inspect the magneto. Still only a very faint spark for a couple of cranks and then nothing.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The size and quality of the spark depends upon the strength & quality of the magnets , the speed that they pass the ignition coil and the state of the coil / module itself.

First test it without a plug in the hole and see if you get a good spark.
Some times problems like this are due to too low a cranking speed and have nothing at all to do with the coil / module.
Unless there is an internal fracture in a coil winding or the connections between the module & windings these units are generally a work - won't work jobbie.
Fractured wires / bad joints generally show up as a strong spark when cold and a break down at working temperatures.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Perhaps I am to tight to fix this motor. I bought a new Ignitor/module from John Deere (for $85) brought it home and it ohmed out exactly like my old one. I took it back...bought a new "John Deere" coil (for $95) it ohmed out exactly like my old coil. I will be returning it as well. I pulled the flywheel just to clean and physically inspect the magneto. Still only a very faint spark for a couple of cranks and then nothing.

Boy talk about lucky you are, any dealer or parts store that are in my part of the country will NOT take back electrical parts. Now you did test the coil hot as well as cold didn't you?

MowDanMan

Threads
I could not test it hot. I figure if it ohms out properly cold it should give me a decent spark. Of course, since I can't get it to run, there is no way to test it hot.

MowDanMan

Threads
I have been testing with the plug out of the hole. I have a nice jumper wire to provide a ground for the spark plug.