Newbie with old Rider 155

rrew

Threads
Hello, all
I am attempting to restore this 18 year old mower. I have the engine nice and strong and am now on to the old transmission oil. I can not find a service manual for the Rider 155, but I did find one for the Rider 13, which appears to be the same (both have the Tuff Torq K46 transmission) except for the engine. So on to the question:
Is the transmission oil change procedure the same for both? Simply remove the two drain plugs and drain, and then fill via the oil tank and then bleed the system?
Thanks

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Can you post the model and serial numbers from the ID tag for the unit you have? We may be able to find your unit.

rrew

Threads
Will likely be tomorrow before I can get that info, but I will.
Thanks for your quick reply. I don't want to mess this up.

rrew

Threads
Let me follow up: the mower is a Husqvarna Rider 155, 2003-01, type number 953 53 36-05, serial 03 0500249. It will be tomorrow before I can get the info off the transmission.

rrew

Threads
I understand there are about 3 million different versions (many of which require removing the transmission and turning it over to drain) of the K46, so confusion is the word! Anyway, here is the info off the transmission: K46I p # 506 9883-02, s# 481-0008764. Thanks for the reference, though. It looks like I might be able to ask on that page what I need to know. And if you have any more thoughts, I would love to hear them.
Thanks again

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yes but they all work the same & the oil change proceedure is identical
They are variations, ie pulley size pulley keying onto the shaft, length & position of control arms , final drive ratio, length of axels and means of securing the wheels but the tranny is the same

rrew

Threads
Update, I have drain plugs, so no removing the thing to turn it upside down. I can fill it through the oil tank rather than the fill hole (which is buried under other bits on my machine). This from ggraham on the Tuff Torq tech tips site.So, forward!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The last time I did an oil change on one of these it took a full week to purge the hydro via the overflow tank.
In the end I removed the tank and ran the mower slowly while I had my sump pump hooked up to the overflow / expansion tank pipe.
after an hour or so I added some more oil, left the mower sit for a while then started it , ran it for a while then put the pump back on till I got the entire recommended fill quantatity of oil in.
The customer was over the moon when it came back because it had near doubled the ground speed so was well worth doing and probably way overdue .

rrew

Threads
The last time I did an oil change on one of these it took a full week to purge the hydro via the overflow tank.
In the end I removed the tank and ran the mower slowly while I had my sump pump hooked up to the overflow / expansion tank pipe.
after an hour or so I added some more oil, left the mower sit for a while then started it , ran it for a while then put the pump back on till I got the entire recommended fill quantatity of oil in.
The customer was over the moon when it came back because it had near doubled the ground speed so was well worth doing and probably way overdue .
Thanks for your insight. I would use the fill hole but it is really buried under a couple of large steel arms that would have to be removed on my Rider 155, that is why I am opting for using the expansion tank fill. I am OK with it taking a long time since I don't have a garage or shop to do the work - I am outside. As long as it will fill I will be happy.