Newbe needs help Deere X520 mower deck height will not adjust

kirkbrit

Threads
  • / Newbe needs help Deere X520 mower deck height will not adjust
Brand new and am a little overwhelmed by the number of forums and the best place to post. This is my 3rd stab at it as the Deere specific forum doesn't look much traveled.

Just bought a 2007 X520 to run the hills on my property. The blades are scalping the turf and I am unable to set the height. Yes, I depress the left pedal which raises the deck, lift the lock on the panal but the knob between my legs has indents but spins freely 360 degrees that doesn't seem right. When I lower the deck nothing has changed the deck goes back to where it was and I am no further ahead. I am now mowing with the deck in the locked position to avoid hurting my lawn any more but this isn't going to work.

I have done my share to wrenching and on Deere 110, 111, 112, 317, 318, and do not look forward to removing this monster 54incher if there is something simple I am over looking. Typical dealer was no help at all other than to say the deck, up on release of the lock should be a different height. I will call the seller but he is a kid who really doesn't seem to have a clue about mechanicals and this Deere in particular.

I hope I am following proper protocol here and really hope someone knowledgeable can help me or send me to someone who can. Located on the banks of the Big Muddy, Davenport Iowa across from Deere HQ in Moline IL.