new ztr

rmo826

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi I am new to this site.I am thinking about buying a new ztr. I can get a new hustler fastrack 54" with a kaw fr691 engine or a ferris 700z with a briggs 810 cc commercial series v twin engine for about the same amount of money. They are both 2015 models. Which one would you guys buy

Lawnboy18

Lawn Addict
Threads
If I am right, I have read somewhere that the Briggs Vanguard is a very good engine and not like all thoe other Brigg engines. If that is true then I would say that both machines that you have been checking out have good engines (I like Kawi engines).

The most important is dealer support. You want a dealer close by that can serve you well if you have problems with your machine. Next, check to see which one has the best drives and the best warranty. Finnaly, if you can, try them out to see which one you like.

Personnaly, I would say that both are good mowers. It all depends on personnal preference. Ferris does have a nice suspension for a smooth ride, but you have to get use to not "flooring it" when starting from a stop. Otherwise it won't cut well (deck will rise).

Lawnboy18

Lawn Addict
Threads
Well, I just got a Ferris. So, I do have to say Ferris since I like them. My judgement is biaised tho.

rmo826

Forum Newbie
Threads
I don't think the 810 briggs commercial turf motor ia a vanguard

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Hi I am new to this site.I am thinking about buying a new ztr. I can get a new hustler fastrack 54" with a kaw fr691 engine or a ferris 700z with a briggs 810 cc commercial series v twin engine for about the same amount of money. They are both 2015 models. Which one would you guys buy

Which ZTR doesn't really make a difference. I'd do some research and look at the spec's and find out things like what drives are in each, do they both have the commercial drives? What gauge is the frame and mowing deck? What do they have for spindles, are they sealed or are they the type you play with and grease every 25 hrs. Same with the front wheels, are they sealed or do you grease them? Things that really matter and that you may have too deal with down the road.

Things to consider and a lot to me would depend on how you are going to use the machine. Do you have a lawn business or are you a homeowner and how much machine do you actually need for what you'll be mowing. It's been a long proven fact that Hustler has always made a good if not one of the best commercial machine on the market and has for years. The problem is your basically comparing a cheap commercial ferris to a residential Hustler and it's not a real good comparison. If you want to compare the ferris to a Hustler you would have to look at least at the Fastrak SD to have a fair comparison.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
I don't think the 810 briggs commercial turf motor ia a vanguard

The Briggs & Stratton Commercial Turf Series motor isn't a Vanguard, it's a glorified In-tek with a new air system, at least that is what was told to me. You can get the Vanguard in the 810cc but it will cost you more.

Shughes717

Lawn Addict
Threads
The Briggs & Stratton Commercial Turf Series motor isn't a Vanguard, it's a glorified In-tek with a new air system, at least that is what was told to me. You can get the Vanguard in the 810cc but it will cost you more.

That is not a true statement and you know it. The Vanguard is Briggs top of the line commercial engine (comparable to FX series Kawasaki). Mad mackie has gone into detail about the differences between the commercial turf and the Intek engine. The commercial turf engine has been out long enough now to prove it is a reliable mid level commercial engine (comparable to the FS series Kawasaki). Can't give an opinion on an engine you have no experience with.

rmo826

Forum Newbie
Threads
I am a home owner that mows around 3 acres. As I stated I can buy either one for around 5500 dollars. I am leaning towards the Ferris 700 because of the suspension system. I have read some bad reviews about the kaw FR691 developing oil leaks. the briggs 810 is 27hp as the Kaw is23 hp. They told me both machines are considered light commercial. It seems like the dealer was pushing the Fastrac. Maybe he wanted to get rid of that machine