New zero turn smokes like h##

lsnell

Threads
I have aZT50 with 5 hours on it which puts out a cloud of oil smoke when you go up a grade.Its such a huge cloud its embarassing.Kohler manual says thier motor is OK to run up to 25 degree angle and I'm well below that.Trobilt has not even replied to my emails..The last one on May 25 said I'd get a response in 3 business days- nothing yet.
Has anyone had similar issues?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I would contact a Kohler dealer, as this is under the engine warranty of your unit. That's what troybuit will tell you if you getba reply. Have you checked to see if you accidentally over filled it with oil.

lsnell

Threads
Thanks for the quick response,rivets. Troybuilt should hire you!
Yes I carefully checked the oil,it was at its upper mark when I purchased the machine and has used a fair amount so is not overfilled.
I am treating this as a warranty problem,but when I contacted Canadian Tire where I bought it, the shop they use to handle these issues is 35 miles away and by his admission,a week and a half behind schedule.I realise this is the way things work but I am frustrated by Troybilts lack of response.
I will be video taping the smog show before I take it in.
Mostly I posted this message to see if anyone had similar issues

chad22

Threads
I have a Honda Rear engine rider that smokes. It's a redneck fogger. Keeps the mosquitoes away when mowing. :laughing: It's just like the riding mower in this youtube video. Honda HT-R 3009 start up/Redneck Mosquito Fogger!!!! - YouTube

A friend asked me if I wanted it because he was tired of it smoking him out. I told him sure I'll take it off your hands. He filled it with gas, my dad drove me down to his house, I got on it and drove it home. All the way it was smoking. No mosquitoes bothered me that night. :laughing:

Chad

lsnell

Threads
Hey Chad ,sounds like you,ve got the mosquitoes whipped.
Was hoping to use mine to cut grass mostly!!

possum

Threads
With five hours I would just return it.

lsnell

Threads
Wish they would let me return it but unfortunately the kohler warrantystates they can repairor replace at theiroption. I have the mower back now,it was in the repair shop for 3 weeks and I didn't have it to cut grass for almost all of June,the time grass grows most.
I called Kohler Canada customer relations and asked them if they could toss me a bone for myproblems by at least giving me full warranty from the time the motor was tore down and new parts put in but the reply was no its not our policy.
I will say this about my purchase of a troybilt so far-Ispent a fair bit of time thinking about spending this much money on a lawn mower and I am definitely not rich. Neither Troybilt nor Kohler have called or emailed to at least say sorry for selling a defective product in fact the Kohler pr guy seemed to feel I should be happy that I didn't have to pay for any repair.This kind ofsituation sure took the fun out of owning something new and obviously I won't be recommending Troybilt to anyone.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
What did the repair shop do to the engine. I have worked with Kohler hundreds of times and don't remember being treated that way. Something's fishy.

Ariena

Threads
Isnel, you did the right thing voicing your thoughts here. The best or worst form of advertising is by way of mouth. I'm sure people will think about buying from Crappy Tire, Kohler or Troybilt after reading your thread.
Good job!

lsnell

Threads
Thanks for the comments.I am trying to stick with the facts without embellishing to keep this a valid thread.I am going to contactKohler for more info because the repair shop was quite busy and I really didn't get an adequate explanation of why there was a problem with a brand new engine.
Here's what the bill says-Removed engine
-removed clutch,muffler
-removed engine side cover
-installed breather kit
-cleaned surfaces
-reinstalled and sealed crankcase
-reinstalled clutch
-test OK
Actually only used the mower once since getting it back,we're having a serious drought here and I've left the lawn to survive on its own,so its stopped growing.Pretty much parched.
Leads to another annoyance.I was puzzelled about these nice rectangles of dead grass appearing overnight on my lawn when it was still green.Turns out the muffler is so hot and low to the ground it scorches the grass real quick even if you just stop long enough to move lawn furniture.I had been parking the mower in the barn with hay laying around but not any more after seeing that.