New used Deere l100 lawn tractor

Wbward

Forum Newbie
Threads
Recently bought a John Deere L100 riging mower used from a local individual. It was fairly inexpensive and the owner stated it had been sitting for a year and needed maintenance.

i cheaned the fuel out, changed the oil, air filter and spark plug. Turned the key and nothing. Checked the safety cutouts-and still nothing. I did some minor testing as I’m Not a mechanic and found the engine turn over if I direct connect the battery and starter but beyond that I’m kinda lost. Any thoughts ?

Jack17

Threads
Hi Ww,
So far you did...quite impressive. Now, the not-so-hard work starts! So, so far, you've used a jump cable from battery '+' direct to one of the copper starter terminals and she barked but no cigar?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
1705784739222.png

Wbward

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi Ww,
So far you did...quite impressive. Now, the not-so-hard work starts! So, so far, you've used a jump cable from battery '+' direct to one of the copper starter terminals and she barked but no cigar?
Correct, I’ve been able to get it to respond with direct wire to starter or to the starter terminal on the soliniod. Twice it kicked with the key briefly so I’m baffled. The seat switch is closed, the brake is on… ill retry jumping it tomorrow.

Oddjob

Threads
Correct, I’ve been able to get it to respond with direct wire to starter or to the starter terminal on the soliniod. Twice it kicked with the key briefly so I’m baffled. The seat switch is closed, the brake is on… ill retry jumping it tomorrow.
Sounds like a bad ground to the starter solenoid or a bad solenoid. Without good ground not enough electrical energy flows from the battery to trigger the magnetic switch to give the starter motor its full dose. Some solenoids have a separate grounding wire and some just ground to the chassis. If your solenoid has three connectors, then you have a grounding wire. If so, take it off its post and clean the connections. Also clean the connection to ground from the negative battery post. If you have a two post solenoid, it grounds to the chassis. Take the solenoid off and clean the mating surfaces. I used to have a Troybilt that I had to clean the mating surfaces on every Fall when I took it out for leaf pick up duty. Corrosion happens.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Well this will help some but you need to test the electric path to see where the failure is. If checking for voltage along the purple and purple white wire the ignition switch need to be held in the start position. Another thing to try to see if the starter solenoid itself has failed is to jumper the battery side to the small terminal with the purple wire. Also make sure the small terminal black wire is grounded. If the problem is before the solenoid the engine should crank but not start as long as no one is on the seat.

1705862372722.png

LMPPLUS

Threads
Have you checked to see if you are getting 12vdc to your start solenoid when the key is turned to start? If not you have a bad ignition switch or wiring issue, if you are getting voltage to solenoid and it is engaging you have bad contacts in the solenoid.

DIFDF4

Forum Newbie
Threads
Check the purple or red white on the key switch for corrosion and tightness. Could also be a key switch that's going bad. I've had this happen to me.

DIFDF4

Forum Newbie
Threads
Check the purple or red white on the key switch for corrosion and tightness. Could also be a key switch that's going bad. I've had this happen to me.
I meant red wire from the battery, not red white.

odiez

Forum Newbie
Threads
My money is on the starter solenoid. I've had to replace one on every Deere I've owned. $12 on Amazon.