New Troybilt riding lawnmower with briggs has no spark

rwmartin57

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / New Troybilt riding lawnmower with briggs has no spark
I have a new Troybilt riding mower that I purchased a couple months ago, the engine has no more than 8 hours running time. It's a 344 cc, 10.5 hp, model no. 210000. When I last used the mower every once in a while the engine would miss, like the kill switch was turned on for an instant. Now there is gas on the spark plug when I take it out, but there is no spark. What should I troubleshoot for when there is no spark?

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If this is a new mower then this should be a warranty issue, and needs to be resolved by your dealer.

rwmartin57

Forum Newbie
Threads
If this is a new mower then this should be a warranty issue, and needs to be resolved by your dealer.

Yes it may very well be an warranty issue, and I may end up doing that, but the closest place I can take it is 50 miles away. I would like to fix it myself if it is something not to difficult.

williebill

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a brand new 12.5 hp briggs that has no spark either. Put it in and wired it up and tried to start. No start so I checked spark. I have none. I checked the coil with a multimeter and it was within the 2000-5000 ohms at 4900. So I feel your pain man

williebill

Forum Newbie
Threads
Other than the coil being bad on a briggs and stratton 12 hp what can cause a no spark issue. The motor is brand new

peteco

Threads
Please check these plugs. Some plugs give no spark (dead plug):laughing:

nfk

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a new Troybilt riding mower that I purchased a couple months ago, the engine has no more than 8 hours running time. It's a 344 cc, 10.5 hp, model no. 210000. When I last used the mower every once in a while the engine would miss, like the kill switch was turned on for an instant. Now there is gas on the spark plug when I take it out, but there is no spark. What should I troubleshoot for when there is no spark?

Disconnect the stop wire from the coil and recheck spark. If you have spark then you either have a short
or a bad safety switch.

gregjo1948

Threads
Check spark using another plug or remove plug, insert philips screw driver, and hold close to a ground serface. gregjo1948

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads

Drain out the old nasty fuel with water in it.....

Likely all that you need to do.

Otherwise take it back to where you bought it, if it is truly a warranty issue, which I doubt.....

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Drain out the old nasty fuel with water in it..... Likely all that you need to do. Otherwise take it back to where you bought it, if it is truly a warranty issue, which I doubt.....

Can you explain first why would the gas be nasty after only two months?

Second how would old nasty gas cause a no spark?