New to me 13ag601h729 in good condition but neglected.

Forest#2

Threads
  • / New to me 13ag601h729 in good condition but neglected.
Is that where an animal has chewed on the shifter and a pedal?

Your seat would last awhile with a cover.

I've used contact cement and indoor outdoor carpet and fixed lawn tractor seats with good results. Weldwood is the best contact cement and the spray one is more user friendly.
i just cover all, including the back. (after removing the bottom bracket.
I've have some that are going on 8 years old and still look good.

Shoo goo is really good for re-glueing if the seat cover is still good but coming loose from the plastic backing. (but not needed if covering all with indoor/outdoor carpet)

After removing the deck you can replace the spindle bearings without removing the spindle housing. Take the top pulley off and drive the spindle shaft out the bottom, then remove the bearings. You tube videos about such. Just leave the blade on the shaft if desired. I usually re-pack new bearings if they have the removeable plastic seals.

Nice old machine, might be a keeper.

ritalz

Threads
Is that where an animal has chewed on the shifter and a pedal?
Not sure what those marks are from. Came to me that way.
Your seat would last awhile with a cover.
Plan is to either cover or replace the seat sometime before May. This whole project is for someone else.
I've used contact cement and indoor outdoor carpet and fixed lawn tractor seats with good results. Weldwood is the best contact cement and the spray one is more user friendly.
i just cover all, including the back. (after removing the bottom bracket.
I've have some that are going on 8 years old and still look good.

Shoo goo is really good for re-glueing if the seat cover is still good but coming loose from the plastic backing. (but not needed if covering all with indoor/outdoor carpet)

After removing the deck you can replace the spindle bearings without removing the spindle housing. Take the top pulley off and drive the spindle shaft out the bottom, then remove the bearings. You tube videos about such. Just leave the blade on the shaft if desired. I usually re-pack new bearings if they have the removeable plastic seals.
I removed the spindles without removing the deck. Easy enough to replace the bearings on the workbench then bolt the spindles back in place. Also much warmer and more light working in the basement.
Nice old machine, might be a keeper.
Sort of a keeper, it will be staying in the family.

Thanks for the reply.

Charles Edward

Forum Newbie
Threads
Broke the deck belt which was already badly worn. Book calls for 954-0349 but that is way too long at 79". I took some string and wrapped it around the pulleys ant it was closer to 60". This deck has 2 belts to run the blades, Top belt from the motor, around the tensioner pulleys and the left most spindle. The other belt ties all 3 spindles together. Now I don't know what length belt to buy or how to look it up.
Step 1 - Measure the shaft centers along each part of the correct belt run and add them together - double the total.

Step 2 - Then add up the circumferences of all the pulley's - and divide the number in half.

Step 3 - Add the result of step 1 to the result of step 2 - and that will usually get you pretty close to the required belt length.

100% accurate with two pulley's - the greater the number of pulley's the greater the potential error.

Digiacomo

Threads
I hope that you checked the oil carefully before you ran it......if that carburetor solenoid was stuck in the down position .......you could have oil and gas mixed........if you have ran it a while chances are that it is ok.........It happened to me, but I was lucky enough that I got so much gas in the crank case that it locked up and wouldn't turn over.......I have a twin 22 horse with fuel pump......

ritalz

Threads
Thanks for the reminder. Actually I did check the oil first. It was a bit dirty but still free of any gas smells. I have since changed and installed a new filter and will probably change it again before turning it over to its new owner. Kind of used to checking things as I frequently work on older motors.

ritalz

Threads
Was reading somewhere that steel wool can be loosely packed in the muffler to deaden the noise a bit. Some #3 steel wool for a couple dollars did a pretty good job. Quiet enough that now I can hear more deck noise. I'm gonna pull the belts off again and check all the pulleys one by one till I find the culprit. I have attached a pulley to my electric drill and will use a belt to spin each pulley while listening for the noisy one. I think there are 7 pulleys on the deck and I've already replaced the bearings on the 3 spindles. It could still be one of the spindles if I messed up on reassembly.

ritalz

Threads
Idler pulley was the culprit. Bad news is the prices for this pulley are outrageous and out of stock in most places. Found one online for a favorable price and placed the order. Now I have to wait several days before I can start working again. In the meantime I will work on the seat. Covered it with some vinyl from the fabric store and pulled most of the wrinkles smooth by hand. Glued the newly covered foam to the pan and it looks ok at best. Also working on some nice emblems to attach to the hood (see pic). This is the first draft and was made on a 3D printer.

Attachments

• first draft emblem.jpg
    first draft emblem.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 1

ritalz

Threads
Not much to add since the last update. Found a brand new set of blades on marketplace for $10, deal. Got the new idler pulley mounted and the deck is still has more noise than I like. Still working on the emblems and doing some touch ups on the paint. Had to stop to take care of some other projects.