New Scag wiring harness issue with Kawasaki engine

Omer55

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / New Scag wiring harness issue with Kawasaki engine
Hello, I'm new to the forum here and thought I'd see if someone might could help me out.

Helping a friend install a new wiring harness that got torn up on his Scag turf tiger with a Kawasaki FD791D engine.

No spark getting to plugs. While we had the key on, the connector to the coil starting smoking getting hot. We found there to be 12volts on the coil wire of both coils. My understanding is these wires to the coil are for the "kill" circuit that allows you to shut your engine off. So I believe there should not be 12 volts on these wires.

Checked a know good Scag (same model and engine) and we only got .4 volts on the wire going to the coil.

I'm thinking there may be a wire crossed or something on this new Scag harness we got.

Looking on the wiring diagram (link below page 7-5) The number one plug coil wire goes to the key switch, and the number two plug wire goes to the ECM module. However there appears to be what looks like a diode symbol with a rectangular box above it between the number two coil wire and the ECM. I don't know what exactly that is or where it is at. Anyone have any suggestions? I'm thinking if its a diode, it may be leaking or installed backwards allowing 12 volts to the coils.

We also swapped the ECM modules, but no change.

Error