New Project .......

Lizardskeep

Threads
This is my newest project. Don't know much about it except that I was told it won't go. Not sure if that means it won't go cause the engine won't run or the engine runs and it won't go for some other reason. Guess I'll find out as I get into it.

Need to fumigate it first though since I've already found two Black Widow spiders living in it. Busted up knuckles I'm used to ... bite bites I can do with out.

I'll keep this thread updated for anyone that may be interested in how things are going with it.

Briggs & Stratton 20 HP V-twin I/C
Model 407777
Type 0184E1
Code 020426YG
It's 12 years old.

Attachments

• mtd_1.jpg
    mtd_1.jpg
    215.6 KB · Views: 28
  • mtd_2.jpg
    mtd_2.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Yeah, I worked for a tractor/trailer company @ 2000 that was based out of Texas, they built an outlet up here in Georgetown, Ky
near the Toyota plant, so all of the equipment was old used stuff from their factory in Texas that they shipped up. Within days our shop was infested by "HUGE" black widow spiders, they must grow big in Texas. They called in a company to deal with them, and they were thick in the welding units, anything in a box, huge serious spiders......

Lizardskeep

Threads
Yes indeed, we do have some big ones down here. You never, ever, stick your hand into anything that you haven't looked into first.

Lizardskeep

Threads
I braved the spiders and cleaned the battery compartment up and got a battery installed. The starting motor worked and spun the engine up, but it wouldn't start, so I dumped a little fuel down the carburetor and tried again. This time it cranked right up and ran for a few seconds.

Now that I know the engine is basically sound and will run, I'll start going through the fuel system and get it all cleaned up and functioning again. I've never tinkered with this particular carburetor before so I may be asking a few questions about it before long.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
You should have fun with this.
I love fixing up MTDs they are so easy to work on.

That carb is another story.

It is two carbs made into one.

I had a engine would only run on the left cyl. The right side of the carb was stopped up.

Keep us updated with some more pics.

Lizardskeep

Threads
Made a little headway today on this thing. Pulled the carb. off and did some general cleaning on it and checked the solenoid which wasn't clicking when you turned on the ignition. I had battery voltage up to the solenoid plug and continuity through the coil so I figured it had to be good. I banged around on the coil with a wrench a few times and tried it again and it worked. After getting everything back together I tried it out and it started. It was lunging pretty heavy at first but it was starting to level out when I shut it down. I was running it with out the engine cover and was afraid it would over heat.

Now that it runs I wonder if I should go ahead and tear it down and go through the engine or wait until I see if the rest of the tractor is going to be worth fixing.

I believe the "won't go" problem is going to be the variable drive pulley. It seems to be in more than one piece.

snzip

Forum Newbie
Threads
I thought a variable drive pulley WAS a two piece affair.......... Dean

Lizardskeep

Threads
Basically you are correct ......... A variable pulley is half a pulley attached to a shaft while the other half of the pulley is free to move up and down this shaft. The whole affair is held together with a spring and other hardware in a unit. Or one piece.

It's hard to see and I'm not sticking my hand in there until I'm sure all the spiders are gone, but it looks like this one is not a single unit any longer and is defiantly broke.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
In what way is it "broke"????

Lizardskeep

Threads
I must have bored Fish and company ............ oh well.

I appears that I was wrong about the variable drive pulley being in multiple pieces. After dropping the mower deck and getting the tractor up in the air where I could see the pulley, I find that it actually looks to be in pretty good shape. The bearings feel good and it turns freely.

Tomorrow I will put the engine cover back on and see if I can get the tractor to move under power. Kinda hope it isn't the pulley ... cheapest one I've found so far is $103.00.

V-D_Pulley_MTD.jpg