New owner of 721D with some questions

geoff

Threads
Hello,

I just purchased a used Grasshopper 1995 721D with a 9361 mowing deck. I have the owners manual but there are some questions I still have. I read somewhere on the web, that even a non hydraulic deck can be "flipped? if done manually. Does anyone know if this is true and if so, how to do it? I presume the hydraulic form of the "power flip deck" is unique to the deck rather than to the 721D itself and could be purchased if I wanted to buy a new deck .. is this correct? What is the best way to get access to the blades if this is not a hydraulic flip deck? I have a Mojack that I bought for my Simplicity but wasn't sure if it was okay to use on the Grasshopper. Also, I am planning on converting it to a mulch mower but wanted to know if anyone has had any experience with the mulching kit, part #503594. I found a less expensive kit, part number #503595 but wasn't sure if the last digit makes it incompatible with my unit.. any information, opinions and thoughts are very much appreciated. Thanks for taking the time to read this...

geoff

Ida-Boy

Threads
My 2000 model 725 has a SL deck, I think a 9661 and it is a manual flip deck not hydraulically flipped. Is there a small hard rubber wheel with a 12" piece of tubing on the right side of the deck, possibly slipped into a tube near the height adjust lever?

geoff

Threads
Thanks for taking the time to reply to my post. I ended up emailing Grasshopper and got a very quick response. Very impressive and makes me glad I bought this unit. Apparently this deck cannot be flipped hydraulically or any other way. The recommendation of Dick at Grasshopper was to either run one side of the deck onto a ramp or to hoist the deck up, to get access to the underside of the deck. He made the point that the 33 and 34 series can flip up either electrically or hydraulically but not the one I have and it can't be retrofitted to do that either. Guess I will have to save my pennies for a new deck if I want that feature which I think is great. In the meantime, I have an electrical hoist I can use to raise the whole deck.

I do have another question if anyone wants to take a shot at it.. I was thinking I might just remove the deck from the mower and service it while its detached.. once I remove the two supports on either side of the drive shaft, how do I remove the drive shaft itself? Will it just pull out or do I have to do something with that silver colored collar on the mower side ?? I tried turning it and tried sliding it back and then forward, it does turn but doesn't seem to want to move either forward or backward and turning it didn't seem to do anything.. sorry for all the questions but I can't find the answers in the user's manuals for either the mower or the deck... thanks

Geoff

Black Bart

Threads
The collar must slid back to release the drive shaft.
It is spring loaded and maybe yours has not been off in a while.
The deck will only raise a limited amount what I do is put ramps behind the drive tires and back up on them then use a floor jack and raise the front as high as the jack will go this gives me plenty of room to remove the blades.
Mine is a 72 inch deck.

geoff

Threads
Thanks for the information and suggestions... I did receive an email response from Grasshopper's Tech support, Dick. I had asked him if it would be okay to use an electric hoist to lift the front end, even while the mower deck was attached to the mower and he said it would be okay. I do like your idea as well and may use that but I have this new electric hoist I have been dying to justify having bought already!!! I may consider at some future point purchasing a new, or used if I can find one, a 33 or 34 series deck. Thanks for the information on the collar needing to be retracted to remove the drive shaft.. I will probably end up using some WD-40 or similar lube on it to get it to retract if and when I want to remove the drive shaft to detach the mowing deck. Thanks again.. I am learning about this great machine...

geoff

173abn

Threads
geoff,on my 928D the drive shaft on the deck slips in to the drive shaft side of the tractor,it does have the spring loaded collar but don't need to use it.my deck is like yours and I just run it up on ramps to clean under it....russ

Black Bart

Threads
Don't forget to occasionally give the U joint on the drive shaft a shot of grease.

geoff

Threads
Thanks guys for the great advice... I will grease the U joint this afternoon... am I correct in that if all I want to do is separate the mowing deck from the mower, I DON'T have to do anything with the retaining collar? Or do I have to slide that back to get the drive shaft out from the mowing deck?

Geoff

Black Bart

Threads
Thanks guys for the great advice... I will grease the U joint this afternoon... am I correct in that if all I want to do is separate the mowing deck from the mower, I DON'T have to do anything with the retaining collar? Or do I have to slide that back to get the drive shaft out from the mowing deck?

Geoff
I always remove the shaft at the collar because if you want to move the tractor you don't want that shaft sticking out in front of it.
Besides you need to remove it to grease it or at least you do on mine.
Also don't overlook the Zerk under the back their is a bearing on that shaft right behind the 2 belts
Their is a serk right behind that collar that bearing suports the front of the drive shaft be sure to grease it also.

173abn

Threads
don't know much about the 721d but on my 928d there are 2 u joints on the drive shaft that require grease plus that bearing plus a zerk where the drive shaft fits into the other half.On my mower there is a total 16 zerks to grease,there is another bearing located under the pto that the splined power shaft fits through.those 2 Pillowblocked bearings plus the 3 on the drive shaft and the 3 spindels always get greased after each mowing...russ