fan45acp

Threads
Hello from NE Texas. I'm ready for the snow to go and the grass to grow. We're the proud owner o f a new Hustler Raptor 54". There is lots of great information on this forum. So thanks and here are a few pictures of my new and first Zero Turn Mower.

:cool:

NorthBama

Threads
That is a good one good choice. Thanks for pictures

Vanousb

Threads
Welcome. Good looking mower. Love to her how it performs for you when the grass get growing.

Kremeneon

Threads
*checks quickly to make sure my RSD54 is still where I parked it*
*Yes, whew*

Nice mower!

EDIT: put the Gator G5 #596-808* blades on it, they make a great machine even better.

fan45acp

Threads
*checks quickly to make sure my RSD54 is still where I parked it*
*Yes, whew*

Nice mower!

EDIT: put the Gator G5 #596-808* blades on it, they make a great machine even better.

Kremeneon, Thanks for the information on the blades I'll pick up a set. Installed a guard around the back to protect the engine.:cool:

West

Forum Newbie
Threads
Nice one good choice looks good, I just picked up a Hustler 54 Fastrak in Jan. Ive used it twice this year already in Feb. usually don't consider mowing until March but the weather here has been warmer then the norm. I sure like mine no doubt you'll be liking your Raptor as well they are a fun machine.

Kremeneon

Threads
Kremeneon, Thanks for the information on the blades I'll pick up a set. Installed a guard around the back to protect the engine.:cool:

The gators are fun, cleaner cut, smaller clippings, and much further throw of those clippings. It does sound like you are sitting on a tornado when you ramp up to full RPM though.

My pro-tip is to make sure they are balanced _very_ well. They are decently heavier than stock blades and any out of balance will cause increased deck shimmy. I mounted a 5/8 ball bearing to a screw like a poor-mans MAG-1000 and use it to balance, it is an order of magnitude more accurate than a nail or cone balancer. With proper balance all my deck wobble is gone, even the stock blades needed some adjustment to balance and run much smoother now.

bt3

Threads
That's a great mower. Congrats.

I sold my lawn tractor about 8 years ago deciding I wanted the exercise. I am probably about 8 more years away from deciding that I am tired of the exercise and want to ride again. That's OK. That old Montgomery Ward Lawn Tractor was getting old. By the time I need a rider, I'll be glad it's a new one. And Zero Turn at that!

Enjoy that mower!

fan45acp

Threads
The gators are fun, cleaner cut, smaller clippings, and much further throw of those clippings. It does sound like you are sitting on a tornado when you ramp up to full RPM though.

My pro-tip is to make sure they are balanced _very_ well. They are decently heavier than stock blades and any out of balance will cause increased deck shimmy. I mounted a 5/8 ball bearing to a screw like a poor-mans MAG-1000 and use it to balance, it is an order of magnitude more accurate than a nail or cone balancer. With proper balance all my deck wobble is gone, even the stock blades needed some adjustment to balance and run much smoother now.

Kremeneon, How do you balance your blades? I've never done this. Please explain. Here's a picture of the engine guard.

Look what followed me home today.

Kremeneon

Threads
Kremeneon, How do you balance your blades? I've never done this. Please explain.
I took a 5/8 OD ball bearing (this is what I bought: http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00L0G8IFW/ ) and popped the seals out of each side, they cause drag. Next I put a screw through it with a nut on the back to hold the bearing out at the screw head. Then I ran the screw a few turns into the side of my workbench. A blade fits nicely over the bearing race and spins very freely. Just a slight nudge and it will go around 10+ rotations and settle with the heavy end down. Grind a little metal off that end and try again, repeat until one end doesn't constantly point to the center of the earth.

Look what followed me home today.

Take one of your stock blades off if you haven't already and compare side by side, you will laugh. I inadvertently ran over a fist size piece of concrete in my yard. I heard the hit and looked down to see pieces flying out the side. Damage? One tiny nick each on the center and right blades.

I have also mowed grass that was eye level with me while plowing through it, plenty of oomph.