New Member with an old question

Spader

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'm currently running a cub Cadet LT 1022, 2004 model with 46" cut. I love it but I looked at the new ones the other day at Home Depot and fell for the new 46" cut, the X-1. I loved the new features except:

I loved everything about it except the reverse option of turning a switch and pushing a button. After I unplugged something on my old machine I could back up with the blades running by simply stomping on reverse. Pushing all those buttons is going to make me keep this old mower rather than step up to the new one. I hate it when an attorney who doesn't mow decides what I need in a mower. This still isn't going to prevent an accident if the operator doesn't look to the rear before he/she backs up. That's a stupid design. I would have to switch those buttons fifty times to mow my yard with all the reverse mowing I must do.

There must be a way to modify the new mower so I can stomp the reverse and still have the blade turning.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Unless they have changed it, it used to be a one time per run turn the key switch and press the button. Unless you shut off the deck, get off the seat, or turn the key back it didn't have to be reset until the next time.

Spader

Forum Newbie
Threads
Unless they have changed it, it used to be a one time per run turn the key switch and press the button. Unless you shut off the deck, get off the seat, or turn the key back it didn't have to be reset until the next time.

Does this mean I can drive forward, activate the switch and push the button and go in reverse with the blade running and then push the foot control and move forward once again without pushing any buttons or turning switches? Sometimes on my current machine I go forward and back numerous times on a small area. I was afraid I would be switching during every move.

It seems to me they are trying to legislate safety by design but there is no substitute for looking behind you before you back up.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I had a customer that just had me bypass the reverse switch on his.

Spader

Forum Newbie
Threads
John,
That is what I will end up doing.

Mikel1

Threads
Not a fan of the reverse safety switches. Fiddling around with switches going into reverse seems more distracting than just backing up and mowing.
I'm not bypassing it for someone, too many sue happy people out there.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Ditto.
If you have a wiring diagram I will happliy explain how it works.
If you decide to use this information to defeat the lock out that is your decision.
There is a reason why it became manditory and it was not because the sales team needed another fancy selling point.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
They are put on them so they would not get sued. Stupid people do not take responsibility for their own actions. Instead they blame others for their bad choices.

bperry

Threads
I just bought the new 46" cut and I move the switch one step counter clockwise and push the button. red light comes on and it is good til you shut it off.

funflyer

Threads
I just bought the new 46" cut and I move the switch one step counter clockwise and push the button. red light comes on and it is good til you shut it off.

That's what I do but will bypass the switch eventually.