new member, old problems ...

junkfixr

Threads
Thanks for having me here first off. I've been to the end of the internet and back a couple of times trying to figure this one out and am happy to find this site.

2006 Craftsman LT1000, and the sticker under the hood sez i need 144959(1/2 x 95 1/2) deck belt. Picked one up at the local parts store and it's WAY too tight. So i search and find there's a 5/8 x 97 also used on 42" decks. Not the belt ! So I search some more and find there's a 1/2 x 100 1/2 inch belt. WAY too long.

I'm kinda at wits end as I've done every adjustment to try to get enough slack so that my blades don't stay engaged. It looks like I need a 1/2 x 98 belt to get enough slack to engage the blades normally. Could the sticker under the hood be incorrect, or do you think I've got something else going on ? It's not the routing because I can put the original (worn out & slipping) belt back on and it engages and disengages perfectly. The 144959 matches it closely in length , just not enough slack when installed.

I've searched model and serial #'s and done the Sears Parts Direct thing, but keep coming up with 144959 which seems to be about 2+ inches too short.

Thanx in advance for any help or suggestions.

Kevin

noma

Threads
Hi Kevin

I think you need the long number under the seat to get the right belt number, the number you used is the parts house number i think and might be why it was to short.But the parts house should have been able to cross reference it with the right number.You should go to Sears parts direct with the long number under the seat and find the right number belt on the Internet. To put the new belt on you might have to pry a pulley over that has a spring attached to get the new belt on be careful make sure you got the belt route right,around the v pulleys and on the flat part on some pulleys. There might be a diagram on the mower deck or under the seat how the belt goes. Or go to Life Management: Everything just got easier - ManageMyLife.com and you can see a manual there to look at or download. Do you have the old belt ,if you do take the old belt to the parts house and they can measure it and get you the right belt too I need the long number under your seat to help any more good luck:smile:

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hi Kevin

I think you need the long number under the seat to get the right belt number, the number you used is the parts house number i think and might be why it was to short.But the parts house should have been able to cross reference it with the right number.You should go to Sears parts direct with the long number under the seat and find the right number belt on the Internet. To put the new belt on you might have to pry a pulley over that has a spring attached to get the new belt on be careful make sure you got the belt route right,around the v pulleys and on the flat part on some pulleys. There might be a diagram on the mower deck or under the seat how the belt goes. Or go to Life Management: Everything just got easier - ManageMyLife.com and you can see a manual there to look at or download. Do you have the old belt ,if you do take the old belt to the parts house and they can measure it and get you the right belt too I need the long number under your seat to help any more good luck:smile:

A very helpful and detailed response......:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Sprinkler Buddy

Threads
If your not the original owner, someone may have replaced the idler pulley with one slightly different in size to the original. That too can make a difference in belt length/size.

173abn

Threads
do you have a belt and pully store in your area?just take the old belt there and I'm sure they could size you a new one...russ

Briana

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hey there - WELCOME to LMF!

I moved your thread to the Craftsman Forum. :smile:

junkfixr

Threads
Re: new member, old problems ... FINALLY GOT IT ! ! !

After trying the Craftsman belt (95 1/2") and going to the auto supply store and trying a 97" belt, trading that for a 99" belt... and after having the deck off 9 times, it finally came to me.

There are 2 idler pulleys, one that's operated by the cable which engages the blades, and the other stationary... or so I thought. I took the deck off for the 10th time, and decided to tear into the cable operated mechanism that engages the blades.

I took the movable pulley off, and when I went to break the "stationary" idler pulley , it broke loose and started to pivot around, swinging from side to side. DUH, it's not stationary ! ! ! It's adjustable.

I lubed everything, reassembled and installed the belt leaving this idler slightly loose. I engaged the blades and then snugged up this "stationary" idler pulley and it all fell into place. Works like a charm with the belt listed under the hood. I felt dumb for overlooking this, but got a sense of accomplishment for beating it, and an understanding of how everything works now. Live and learn.

Now I only have about a dozen more questions about these Craftsman mowers.

benski

Threads
"If ya think ya know it all, ya oughta be in politics. If yer sure that ya don't, then welcome to the forums!":biggrin: I've been canoodling on different kinds of machinery for, uh, a while, and there is a ton of fascinating stuff to learn.:thumbsup: