New member from Sterling Heights, Michigan (Detroit Area)

Moldyoldie

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / New member from Sterling Heights, Michigan (Detroit Area)
Hello and thank you for this fine forum. I currently own a Yard-Man Model 12A-979L401 with 21-inch cut and Briggs & Stratton 6.5hp Intek OHV (Model 121602); it was purchased in May, 2000 for $399. I use mulching exclusively. The self-propelling mechanism became discombobulated and broken to the point of irreparability a few years ago and I've since used the unit as a reliable push mower. I do have reason to believe that fuel leaks when the tank is full and sitting idle in the garage, hence I only fill the tank enough for a single mowing. I do miss the self-propelling feature, so as you might suspect, I'm currently in the market for a new walk-behind mower.

The features I appreciate most are reliable starting and sturdy operation. I also appreciate the single-lever height adjustment from the rear of the deck so I don't have to stop the engine. My landscape is flat, but quite bumpy and uneven with several curves, nooks, and crannies. Since a large section of the lawn tends to collect water and is shaded, it often takes a few days to drain completely. My mowing is often predicated on when this section is sufficiently dry lest troublesome and unsightly mulch clumps form.

Thanks again for allowing me to participate and I look forward to perusing relevant posts.

Last edited:

okiepc

Threads
Welcome to the forum, someone will have input on a good mower for your needs.:smile:

Briana

Lawn Addict
Threads
Welcome to LawnMowerForum!

I moved your thread to the MTD/Yard Man Forum. :smile:

Moldyoldie

Forum Newbie
Threads
After reading exhaustively, including several relevant threads on this forum, I've just purchased a Toro 20381 Super Recycler with the Toro engine. I'm still hanging on to my old Yard-Man, however, at least for the time being. :wink: